Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sharp ar208D

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Dustin(WOP)'s Avatar

Sharp ar208D

Hello all:
    just had a customer call me and is trying to set up an ar208d to print. They do not have the network expansion kit...i think that is a ar-nb2a...nor do they want to spend the money for it. The question at hand is can they use a usb HPjet direct to hook it up. I went there and couldn't see any reason why it shouldn't work...I was just wondering if maybe sharp had this feature blocked some how?? I can get it hooked up on another printer so i know the jet direct is working properly and i can get on the web page for it., but it will not print....just wondering if anyone else has tried this or if it is a blocked feature....THANKS for any advice

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Sharp ar208D

The AR208 without the network box uses a GDI driver. If you are using a PCL driver the job will go to the machine and not print. No error will be reported. We have used Pricom and Hawking print servers and the GDI driver with success

I believe with that driver you will have to install driver on PC then connect copier with USB cable and let it discover and finish install. Then connect to Jet Direct. Then change your port to the Jet Direct Port.

Technician

Angry Re: Sharp ar208D

Quote Originally Posted by DavePo View Post
    I believe with that driver you will have to install driver on PC then connect copier with USB cable and let it discover and finish install. Then connect to Jet Direct. Then change your port to the Jet Direct Port.
    I too am having an issue with the GDI driver for this machine - A customer originally installed the PCL6 driver when they received it (bad idea). I have tried uninstalling from Programs list (this is a Windows 7 64-bit home premium pc), deleting the downloaded driver folders, installed the GDI driver - made sure port was on USB port - still nothing. Printer will not print at all. Any ideas? Are there any scrubber utilities to remove the drivers from the system, or is there any kind of configuration issue I've missed? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Technician

Re: Sharp ar208D

just had this exact same problem the other day,have to unplug copier remove incorrect pcl driver by going into server properties the reboot,then load proper gdi driver and finally connect 208 when install prompts u too