Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chris.murphy

Network Scanner Tool & 64-Bit SBS 2008

Hello all,

We've been using Sharp copiers and their Network Scanner Tool for years on 32-bit Small Business Server (SBS) 2003. We install the tool on the file/print server and update the profiles on each copier to FTP files to different folders for each user on the server.

I recently completed a migration from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 and now the only thing keeping me from taking the old server out of service is that I cannot get the network scanner tool to work on SBS 2008, which is 64-bit.

I've tried reinstalling the software, changing the properties to run in different compatibility modes, and have set it to run as Administrator. None of this is working. The system tray icon shows up with a red circle/slash on it. When I try to start the service, it gives me an error saying "FTP Port In Use"

I've seen this error when I logged in remotely to the SBS 2003 server and belive it was due to the service already running under the username logged in at the computer console.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    -Chris

chris.murphy

Solved!

Just wanted to post an update in case anyone else had this same issue. My problem was that I used an administrator account to install the software that was not the built-in (and in my case transferred from SBS 2003) administrator. On the 3rd reinstall, I used the built-in administrator account and everything is working.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Good info, thanks Chris

FYI the newer Sharps are capable of SMB scanning, so the Network Scanner tool is not needed.

chris.murphy
    Tell me a little more about SMB scanning. I'm a network admin, not a copier guy, but I'm eager to learn. I've been using the Network Scanner Tool since can easily manager all 4 Sharp copier scan address books from one place.

depends on what model sharps you have

go to web interface and then address book or destination management.

add a new address if under address type you see "network folder" machine is capable of SMB scanning.

you would simply put network path i.e. \\server\user\scans
    enter a user and password with rights to write to that folder

that way you could eliminate the ftp server from running on your server, however the trade off being you could not manage the profile for the 4 machines as you are doing now with Network Scanner Tool

chris.murphy
    Thanks for the info. We have 2 AR-BC320s a MX-M350N and a MX-M4101N. After looking at the web interfaces, it looks like the two MX machines might be capable, but the ARs may not.

you are correct the AR-BC320's cannot, the MX's can

chris.murphy
    I think I'll keep the setup as is.

My current problem is that the Network Scanner Tool gives me an error when loading to both the AR-BC320s. If I go to the web interface on each 320, click Destination, and manually clear everything from the Destinations List, then try to update using the Network Scanner Tool, I receive and error saying Failed 2-. I can't find what this means. Also, the names never appear on the copier Image Send Address Book. Then next time I try, I get error Failed 949-. I believe this is saying the Full Name already exists.

I'm currently stuck waiting on our copier vendor to resolve the issue, but they were notified on Monday of the problem and now it's Wednesday and still not resolved.

The following is from Sharp tech forum.....................

"When I try to re-upload a scan destination from NST I get a Failed-949 error. If I try to install via web setup, when I hit submit it says destination already present. Yet when I go to the destination listings it is not there, also not on imager screen. I print off a scanner address list from list print and the destination is listed there. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how to clear this phantom destination. This on an arbc320. I'm having an issue with scan to email also. Don't know if it may be related."

Reply..........

"I have seen something like this before. The destinations are actually stored on the ICU board memory. If you back up all info and do a memory clear that should take care of this for you.
    Thanks, "

I don't recall how to do a mem clear on this machine, you may want to ask servicing dealer that way if anything goes wrong they will be on the hook and not you

chris.murphy
    Thanks!!! I'll get with our copy techs about saving the fax numbers and network settings, then resetting the machine.