Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    lvillacci

3501 keyboard lockup

mx-3501 keyboard locking up. all keys and on the display freeze up.I replaced the hdd. formattedthe hdd now geta u2-05 error. hdd data discrepency. any ideas

OMD-227
    Oh dear... what have you done......?

You needed to ask about this, or do some research first. You would have found out that the lockups you mention are usually not the HDD. If they were the HDD, there is a procedure you must follow to ensure you backup the HDD contents (such as scanning addresses, job logs, user manuals etc etc). This would save you from the dreaded U2-05 code, meaning everything is gone. Client data is lost. The machine has detected a different HDD, without the original data.

Sure, HDD failures will cause lockups on alot of machines, but the most common cause of C-Jupiter series operation panel lock-up is the Scanner PWB. The operation panel connects directly to this board. I have had a few of these machines have op panel lockups, and it was mostly this board. You know for sure if it is the scanner PWB, if after bootup, the op panel works for approx 10-20 seconds, then totally freezes. You could be pressing any button or touch-screen area and it would seem OK, make the right beeping noises and actually work, then totally freeze... no beeps or activity.
    If the op panel is locking up during use or at other times, it would most likely be either the Scan-In PWB if you are copying/scanning at the time, the DSPF memory PWB (as you have the DSPF model, not the RSPF model) or DIMM2 (512Mb - system memory) on the MFP during print jobs or freezing at random.
    Also make sure the Firmware is completely up-to-date. This will help alot.

You are going to need to clear your U2 code with sim16. Unless you have a device clone of this machine, you will not have any HDD data to put back on as you have formatted it. Going to have to start again. Possible to have a completely pissed client as well..... actually, not possible.....I guarantee it.

Good luck mate....

lvillacci

3501 lock up

hey wazza thanks for the info. I will swap out the scanner pwb..HOPEFULLYthis will clear this problem up. I also installed the customers original hdd.

OMD-227
    Yes, the scanner board should fix your problems, especially if the op panel works OK after the first 20 seconds after bootup. This is usually when it locks up if the scanner board is causing it.

I'd try DIMM2 replacement next if the scanner board doesn't fix the lockups.

Please make sure the firmware is upgraded and do a device clone just to be sure & safe.