Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    rhammerman

Sharpdesk Scanning Utility & Duplicate Files

Hi-

I am using Sd 3.2 on an XP computer and when I compress the files and put them to a path on my computer, Sd is creating 2 documents a regular pdf and one that is followed by compressed, is there a way for Sd to NOT make 2 files? Thanks for any help anyone can lend

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

How are you compressing them ? I can't see any way for Sharpdesk to do it. If you use the OCR, it leaves the original & then puts the OCR'd version in SD. I'll help if I can. Not really sure what you're doing though.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

rhammerman

Duplicate files & Speed of Sharpdeak

I am scanning the files on our Sharp AR-M317. The files are set up to be scanned to a specific folder on a computer on the network. The compression is taking place after the paper scans. I set up the compression in Network scanner tools, profiles, advanced tab and then selecting the image processing, details, select the radio button for compression and have it compressing to 75%. The compressed files are a great size but the non-compressed is showing up right next to the compressed file in the designated target folder.

Also, the scanning process seems to be getting bogged down. Taking a lot longer to finish a project...is it possible that the computer running the compression utility is over worked b/c we have other applications open in the background. However, I've run the network scanner tool without anything else running on the computer and it still seems to be taking, in my opinion, too long. Does anyone know the fastest way to run this thing and the settings so we can scan and put it directly in the designated folder. Thanks in advance!

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Cool Hammerman. I'd say I've done at least 200 Sharpdesk installations and didn't know that was in there. I guess for the most part, I haven't done anything special with it.
    I don't think there is a way to have Sharpdesk compress it without having the original there also. That being said, why do you want to ? With the price of digital storage being ridicuously cheap, it's not worth the hassle. I'd look at adding other software if you're scanning for document management. For these applications I use Kyocers's KyoCapture & pair it with www.sentryfile.com You can use Sentryfile and have it poll the folder that you're scanning to using Sharpdesk. I've done that for a customer that had both Sharp & Kyocera MFP's. Sentryfile is all web based, there are no client licenses & the support is top notch.
    Let me know if you have any questions I can help with.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

rhammerman

Document Managment

As far as the document mgt feature goes...we are scanning and actually putting the scanned files into a medical client database that was written in 4D. Fairly complex but since the files are getting inserted into the data file for each client, we need them to be as small as possible, otherwise the data file will get out of hand. we have over 120k clients that we are trying to scan old paper and insert. The staff deletes the original large file and attaches the compressed one to the client record. Not sure if document mgt would assist or delay the process? Thanks for all of your assistance! robert

tripper197

Re: Duplicate files & Speed of Sharpdeak

Quote Originally Posted by rhammerman View Post
    I am scanning the files on our Sharp AR-M317. The files are set up to be scanned to a specific folder on a computer on the network. The compression is taking place after the paper scans. I set up the compression in Network scanner tools, profiles, advanced tab and then selecting the image processing, details, select the radio button for compression and have it compressing to 75%. The compressed files are a great size but the non-compressed is showing up right next to the compressed file in the designated target folder.

Also, the scanning process seems to be getting bogged down. Taking a lot longer to finish a project...is it possible that the computer running the compression utility is over worked b/c we have other applications open in the background. However, I've run the network scanner tool without anything else running on the computer and, duplicate file finder still seems to be taking, in my opinion, too long. Does anyone know the fastest way to run this thing and the settings so we can scan and put it directly in the designated folder. Thanks in advance!
    Hope Someone Will Get The Solution...!!!

Technician

Re: Duplicate files & Speed of Sharpdeak

Quote Originally Posted by tripper197 View Post
    Hope Someone Will Get The Solution...!!!
    make sure the ocr feature is off in the nst tool.

Technician

Re: Sharpdesk Scanning Utility & Duplicate Files

We set this feature up a lot, there is no way to scan with compression and have the original file deleted. Unfortunately the users must manually delete the uncompressed file if its not needed. Im sure theres an IT geek out there could maybe write a script to automate it??

You could try Drivve using OSA, that would compress a file down to the sort of sizes your after and only leave one file.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Sharpdesk Scanning Utility & Duplicate Files

The only occasion we've come across duplicate files was FTP scanning. Let's say you've got ten customer folders, within each a folder called 001. When you FTP scan to folder 001 you'll get a scan document in every folder named 001.

I know it sounds dumb, but we had to learn this the hard way. The sub-folders have to have unique names. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=