Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Dragon (M550/620) TCB Filling

Has anyone ever run into an issue where the TCB on the toner cartridge on a M620 series machine consistently fills before prompting the customer to replace the toner cartridge? The toner is near empty when this happens, but the TCB fills completely so that the used toner transport augers become compacted and the 2 white gears on the front of the process unit fight each other and sound like a machine gun is going off.

Changing the toner (or emptying the TCB is there is no toner available) and then vacuuming out the process unit augers fix the problem for the time being, but then when the newly replaced toner gets to about 10% is usually happens again. Here are the things I have tried:
    Changed the density by adjusting SIM 8-2 to 610 all the way around.
    Replaced the DV unit.
    Replaced the process unit/MC.
    Adjusted DV ref SIM 80-2.
    Flashed to latest firmware.

This only happens on some machines, so I assume it has something to do with the type of usage because the options and settings are identical to dragons without the issue. At this point I am just having my keyops check toner levels and replace the toner at 20% or lower, but if anyone has any other tricks then by all means let me know.

Thanks

-Arthur

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

The first dragons had this problem and they changed the toner cartridge. In Canada the new style was AR621NTA with a Z on the box.

You have to get the waste system really clean and make sure all the bushings are cleaned up to or it will backup again.

Never heard of this happening on a MXM550/620 though. If you heard the really loud grinding check the gears in the drum drive. There are 2 gears in the back that would always break if it was left long enough.

One way to check is activate your drum motor in Sims and grab the coupler that drives your waste toner system. If you can stop that coupler you got broken gears. When there is no load on it, it looks fine and will spin.

Check to make sure you don't have old style toners and check your waste toner drive.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I've had Dragons that have done this for nearly every toner cartridge replacement. Ther is a cure, but it's not ideal. You need to make some image quality adjustments that will put less toner on the drum, thus lighter fill, but it works.

My pal wazza will tell you that this was fixed in 2004 when they changed to the new style toner cartridge. I've seen a lot of overfilled waste toner containers which contradict that.

Ill take a look for that document.

OMG! I found it. This was originally intended to "fix" the problem of toner chips collecting in the fuser, and it helps with this issue. See the attached email:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

OMD-227
    Upgrade to latest firmware. Adjust Half-tone laser power and gamma adjustments as detailed in page 11 of initial setup procedure.

Clean up the toner auger assembly as Lawrence described.

Listen to whatever Blackcat says, because he is always right.

Replace the Drum, Dev & Maint kits. Ensure the rotation counters are reset in sim 24-11, as well as the drum & dev counters.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I am not always right! As a matter of fact, I'm usually wrong (except this one particular case). =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=