Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

L4-02 on ARM 455

I have a AR 455 giving this code, having checked the drum unit, its turning free, nothing broken, less then 200K on the machine, not even reached the first PM yet, sharp net says to replace the main charge unit.
    Has anyone else seen this, both main motor and drum motor both turn with no prob.
    Sometimes it will power up and run with no code, other times the code pops up.
    Any ideas???

L4 02

I had this the other day. I know you said there was nothing broken but i found the gear that drives between the two augers was broken. Toner stayed compacted in the drum unit. And if you are in a pinch you can use a AR M350 Drum Unit to do the repair. I haven't heard any problems from it yet..... You might check the gear drive too.

I checkd all that, all 3 gears were turning, nothing felt binding, I'll re-check it, and even replace the drum unit to test.

ok

either that or the motor could be defective....and to make myself a little clearer...you can use a ar m350 frame but not the unit...............if i think of anything else i'll post it.....

OMD-227
    L4-02 is definitely the MC unit at fault. It is caused by an arching, and mainly happens on warmup.

If the drum & waste toner augers are rotating freely, replace the MC unit. Might as well do the PM kit (including MC grid/unit) & drum at the same time. Make sure firmware is up-to-date and the rotation counts are reset as well.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    L4-02 on ARM 455

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    L4-02 is definitely the MC unit at fault. It is caused by an arching, and mainly happens on warmup.

If the drum & waste toner augers are rotating freely, replace the MC unit. Might as well do the PM kit (including MC grid/unit) & drum at the same time. Make sure firmware is up-to-date and the rotation counts are reset as well.
    I'll have to side with wazza on this one. The times that I've gotten this code it was MC loss due to arcing from the primary charge high voltage lead (which is part of the main drive assy). This is common on Tigers and Jupiters. It is rare to have an actual drum motor failure.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Will be going there this AM.
    Will try swapping out the drum unit.
    I had picked one up before going out there the other day, did not use it because the old drum unit seemed ok.
    Will keep posted

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    L4-02 on ARM 455

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post

Gona have to go with the master on this one to:

One day i thought i'd try to double the life of the 455KA Drum kit. After doing the PM, (Drum, Blade, DV) i got called back like 2 days later for that exact code. Power cycled the machine and it went away but came back next day. Changed the charger and problem went away. Ive had guys tell me they have never done the 455KA kit yet and the machine has a million copies on it. Dunno how they get away with it.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Technician

Smile L4-02 Error Code on AR-M455n

Were working on the same problem. I have talked to a couple of other techs and typically they have found either the MC Unit, the Main Drive Unit, the Devoloping Unit (Binding) or the Gears Broke in Toner waste removal section that have caused the L4-02 Code. We have Replaced the MC Unit, Toner Motor and are still getting the Error Code. The Developing Unit rotates smoothly. we have not found any Broken Gears. At this point we are wondering if the actual Main Motor or the Main Drive unit may be causing the Error Code. Any Postive Feedback ASAP would be Appreciated! Thanks! Daniel

Found out it was the developer unit, funny thing, the SM does not say anything about it, it refers to the drum unit, and I did not think to check the developer unit bacause I like others have seen the drum unit lock up, break gears, M/C arc and cause problems.
    Only one other time have I seen a DV unit go bad in these machines.
    Its on order.