Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Great Land 50+ Posts lorenrupe's Avatar

Are New Sharp Copiers any good?

I am looking at picking up the Sharp Copier line and was just wondering what Techs who work on them every day think of their new machines? I used to sell and Service them but that was about 15 years ago. Which models do you like or hate? How are their new 8X14 Color machines, I think they are called the Fronteir Series?
    Thanks!

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Any model in the MX series, including the Frontier, are user and tech friendly. BLI's line of the year two out of the last 3 years should tell you something about the newer Sharps. Don't base your opinion on the older Sharps, there has been considerable improvement in overall design IMHO.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 100+ Posts glewisme's Avatar
    I agree with ZOOTECH ! These are great machines period! We"ve got a couple frontiers out there with over 30k on them in less than a year an other than performing the finisher mods there really haven't been any issues.

Agree with the others...

Much nicer and CQ is good for a Business class machine.

Have several hundred of the MX range in the field, some with upto 900k on the clock, just keep the Firmware current (nice & easy via USB port).
    regards

John

" The Game never ends..When your whole World depends..On the Turn of a Friendly Card..."

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    We just picked up the line and so far, love it. We haven't had any issue's whatsoever (again, we JUST picked up the line though), but everything seems tech friendly.

OMD-227
    Anything in the MX and MXM series machines, are the best thing Sharp has ever done.
    I completely agree with everyone, that you must not automatically think of, or remember anything Sharp did before these machines came out, because you will have the wrong opinion before you even see the machine.
    Alot of R&D obviously went into these machines and they have proven to be an excellent box. For entry level, to semi-color production, through to full B/W production on the Herc's, they are brilliant across the board. The newest series is based on the same engine design as the first MX series, so that says something right there.
    Very easy to service and support. Long life consumables, most of which easily perform alot longer than specified.
    The MXC Frontier series are OK, but a little on the cheaply built side. The same design principle is there from the MX machines, but try not to install these in a mid to high use environment. They should only replace a desktop color laser situation. But for everything else, flog them 'til they die.

The Great Land 50+ Posts lorenrupe's Avatar
    Thanks for the input! To me it goes a lot further if Techs tell you they are good than a Salesman!
    Loren Rupe
    Valley Business Machines Inc.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

In my opinion, they are the best thought out, most technician friendly machines out there. We carry Sharp & Kyocera. I like the Sharp machines a little better, part of that is because I've got 10 years experience with them & not as much with Kyocera. If Sharp had the Kyo warranty, we'd probably be a Sharp single line dealer.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

worker drone 250+ Posts
    Interesting comments. I spent 6 years with a Sharp dealer and hated the products. I thought their engineers failed to use their heads. The original MX machines had major trouble with transfer belt cleaning because they put the cleaning unit on top of the belt hoping to brush the toner up instead of using gravity like the rest of the world. I didn't get the duplex gate that is not driven. The paper muscles it out of the way and it drops with gravity after paper passes so that when paper reverses direction, it goes on the top of the gate, It seemed that the doc feed rollers were very short lived and the PM indications were ridiculous showing one code at a time until the previous maint cose was cleared. When I left, they were still battleing the 550/620/700s overfilling the waste toner and sounding like a machine gun. The fusers on those machines had not hot roller bushing and the bearings would come apart like clockwork. The bearing side shell retaining ring would be spinning on the fusing lamps just flirting with shorting the lamps AC to ground. Sharp was very innovative as far as being ahead of the competition with things like the on-board qwerty keyboard and the USB thumb drive printing, but I think I would have liked to face a few engineers and ask them "what the hell were they thinking?" As mentioned by the previous posters, they gained great strides since the older metal screws into plastic framed machines and nightmare drive systems but I felt they still had room for improvement. These are just my thoughts and it is easy to see by previous posts that I am in a minority with those opinions.

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

"These are just my thoughts and it is easy to see by previous posts that I am in a minority with those opinions."
    That's the good thing about our country, you can have your own opinion. If we all had the same opinion, we'd all be after the same woman.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook