Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sharp MX-4501

Sharp MX-4501

Machine is making pod1_N and pod1_S jams early in the morning. Maybe it is the cold weather that is causing this poblem. Just did a fuser rebuild (MX-450HK) but it did not help. Any body run into this problem.

OMD-227
    Is there any hard toner buildup on the reverse PG & gate? If so, use new modified part with the 4 contact pawls. This helps prevent the toner buildup on the reverse PG & gate, which can cause alot of POD1's.

Check the POD1 sensor spring. On an older fuser which has already been rebuilt, the spring tension may drop abit. Put an extra wind on the POD1 spring to allow the sensor to return quicker once the paper has passed it.

I've seen a few POD1 actuators have a slight deformity in the moulding, which makes the sensor about 1 or 2 mm longer than it should be. This causes the sensor to be down for just a split second longer than it should be as the paper passes over it. You will get plenty of POD1_S in that case.

Take the delivery unit out, remove the entire top cover assembly and you can check/clean the transport ribs throughout the delivery unit. Sometimes some hard toner buildup within the deliverey unit can cause the lead edge to hit it.

Does the paper in use have a recycled content? Its common for 50% or 100% recycled paper to have excess curl whcih can cause these jams.
    Try adjusting 55-01 sw2, bit1. This switch makes the fuser run hotter at the heavy paper temperature, while running at the plain paper speed. Switch it off if it is already activated.

Obviously try some fresh good quality paper.

If you have the FNX1 finisher, reduce the gap between the exit unit & the dummy-punch unit, by repositioning the mylar closer to the exit unit so that little or no gap exists. If you are using lower quality paper, its common for some curl to appear after the fuser, so the lead edge ends up in that gap between the exit/delivery unit & the entrance to the dummy-punch unit.

Also on the FNX1, there can be a sticking finisher entry gate. Increase the tension of the return spring (parts section 11, item 11).

If you have the FNX2, increase the opening gap of the entry gate on the RBX1 drawer, by moving the solenoid to a better position. Just take the front cover off the RBX1 drawer and you will see it on the right.

Thanks for all the info Wazza. It did have a huge amount of hardened toner build up everywhere. I thought that was the problem and after cleaning it stilled jammed the next morning. I turned the energy save mode off and will check again tomorrow. If that does not help I will look at changing the reverse guide (PGiDM2190FCZ2) as in TB-279 and the fuser lower pawls (PTME-0328FCZZ). I will check the length and clearance of the actuators. Machine has no FNX1 finisher or FNX2 saddle finisher.

OMD-227
    Change the Reverse PG unit to PGIDM2454FCZZ. You have the right part numbers for the pawls.

If the machine has not had power save mode/preheat/sleep timers activated in the past, and the machine is a few years old, you may find the delivery unit to be slightly warped on the upper part of it (near the fans). If you have no luck with the reverse PG/pawls, and have already dismantled the delivery unit to check & completely clean, I'd order the whole delivery unit. That covers all bases. I've had plenty of weird ones which would jam at random, but evrything looked great, was clean & all sensors were perfect. Replacing the delivery unit was the fix in the end.

Good luck.

Service Director
    look on the Sharp IDNC site and check bulletin TT-20119 This is a known issue.

http://www.sharp-idncservice.com/Hom...9/Default.aspx

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar
    Here is the tech tip for those who don't have access to the IDNC website.

Good luck.

Bil
    Attached Files Attached Files

OMD-227
    That is a pretty cool service bulletin!
    That covers about 4 different topics that are in 4 separate bulletins here!

Very impressive!

The bulletins made here are dedicated to just one issue, with heaps of info, but the US ones obviously cover a wider range of detail. Nice!

Thats a very impressive bulletin indeed. Is it just me, or are tech bulletins from the US and Australia better than those from the UK. More often than not, when we contact Sharp UK they give us assistance that they have found on the US or Australian sites. I dont suppose anyone has a spare log on to these sites? We dont get much over here in Ireland and anything we can do to assist ourselves, such as being able to search other resources would really help.