Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharp MX 3501

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Vesigoth's Avatar

Sharp MX 3501

This machine was giving me blue streaks on full color copies. I replaced the cleaning blade, drum, and charge corona unit on the cyan drum unit and that took care of the blue streaks. Now though, I'm getting red streaks on full color copies. I didn't touch any of the other DV or drum units. Did I screw up something here, or is it possible that the magenta drum unit needs the same thing as the cyan unit? Is there a drum sensitivity setting on these machines like on Canon's? Is there a color balancing simulation? This machine has about 35K color copies and about the same number of clicks in black. If you've seen this on this machine please let me know as its been a long time since I worked on a Sharp color system.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Sharp MX 3501

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $11.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from The Internet's largest collection of manuals

Paul@justmanuals.com

OMD-227
    Its pretty common for CMY to start playing up at the same time. However, it is uncommon for them to start having problems at only 35K. On a high rotation/low page count machine it is quite possible though, especially if the machine is old with little work done. The blade would start to smudge.

Replace CMY drum units or drum/mk kits. You can check image quality in sim 64-01 & 64-05.

Service Manager 100+ Posts glewisme's Avatar
    I've found it fairly common for this to happen on high rotation and low page counts anywher between 30k and 60k

Thank you for all the help. It was the blade causing the problem.

Technician
    Depending on volume, i've found it not uncommon to need to replace the MK kit at 30-60K

Service Manager 250+ Posts Silvertoast's Avatar
    have u tried using the main charge cleaning wand and the lsu window wand that is in the front door first?? u didnt mention in ur post if u did or not

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertoast View Post
    have u tried using the main charge cleaning wand and the lsu window wand that is in the front door first?? u didnt mention in ur post if u did or not
    Yes I did, but that was not the cause. Apparently these blades can fail at about 35k. I have another MX 3501 with about the same milage on it and the cyan dv unit mag roller has a number of areas on it where there is no developer brush. The odd thing is that the areas where the developer is missing on the mag roller runs diagonally around the surface of the mag roller. Nothing is cought under the doctor blade. This causes the color of the copied image to appear washed out and the color on the copy doesn't match the color on the original, blues look greenish. I'm going to change the developer to see if this solves the problem. I hope the magnets in the mag roller are not broken or misalligned. I'll post my findings later. Thanks

OMD-227
    The reason for the low developer appearing to be running diagonally around the mag roller, is the supplying augers within th dev unit are shaped like that. Dev which is running low, cannot be supplied to the mag roller at an even coverage, so you get dev running diagonally around the mag roller as that is how it is being supplied. You dont have a problem with the mag roller at all, its just low dev.
    Low dev is caused by dev being pulled out, usually by a worn drum. Replace that color drum too if worn.
    Change the dev, run your 25-02 and it will be fine.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Sharp MX 3501

Redundant maybe, but just make sure to replace the MC unit if you are not replacing the entire drum unit - dust/fibers/etc can bridge the grid and MC electrode and pull DV also.