Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

Arc150 fusing oil coating kit

I'm rebuilding and arc150 fuser. The oil coating kit comes with a bottle of oil and the service manual doesn't say what to do with this. Is anyone familiar with these units that can tell me what to do or tell me in the book where the instructions are. There doesn't seem to be anything in chapter 11 except how to remove the coating unit.
    Thanks.

OMD-227
    I've done ALOT of these.

When installing the new oil coating unit, you use the small oil bottle as a 'starter' oil. Pour the small oil bottle along the coating roller and down towards the blade that coats/cleans it. This will allow it to start turning. Almost all of the coating units I've seen will not turn at all without some oil on them to begin with. Once you are happy that it rotates OK with your hand, then you can fit it to the fuser.

The Bear fusers are a PITA. The whole series is a PITA.

Thanks again Wazza, I must agree with your last statement. Also once again tech support comes through. They told me just to smear some oil on the fuser rollers and fire it up. I didn't think this sounded right. Also, is there anything I need to do to prime the oil system. I don't think there is any oil in it. The machine sat in a warehouse for years and was resurrected about a year ago for a customer that couldn't afford a real color machine. To be honest, when I got it ready for them I didn't even think to check the oil level. When I went to remove the fuser this morning, I looked at the tank real quick and it appeared dry.

OMD-227
    Yeah, just put the 'starter' oil on the coating unit, make sure the main oil tank under the fuser is full/near full, with a clean pump filter and then fire it up. With the starter oil on the coating unit, there is more than enough to get going, as the pump will start the flow. You can check this is happening ok with the fuser front cover off and trick the front door switch during warmup. You will see the pump working, with oil flowing upwards. I always do that, just to make sure everything is working. The Bear fusers take a long time to warmup, so the lamps will fire on/off for several minutes before the rollers start rotating and the pump starts.

I've had alot to do with the Bear's. If you have any problems with this beast, let me know.

Thanks again. I keep hoping it will just melt down one day. I can't believe the boss put this thing back out in the field.

OMD-227
    Prepare yourself for some PAIN Gene!!!

Changing devs & drums is simply crazy, but you will get it down to a fine art soon enough. The fuser units generally dont last long either. You will get oil spotting on the lead edge, for which there are several adjustments to make.
    Overall, the image quality from any Bear machine is right up there, or in many cases better than most MX machines, once all consumables are done, the Fiery calibrated and everything is running well.
    I hope the client knows that they will have some trouble writing on the paper from this machine, as it is an oil-based fuser. Most pens tend not to work really well when writing on the page.

We only have 3 of them left in the field now (thank goodness!). Cant wait until they are all gone. 2 clients just refuse to upgrade, as their documents print different colors on the MX machines. The Bears do a great job I have to admit. They are just a massive PITA to service, with counters too short for the work it has to do.