Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    boomer400

AR-M350 printer issue

So I managed to get an inherited 350 running with a local IP address that I can ping.

However, it has some other problems which I didn't know about.

1) When the machine starts it gets :

a) an F1-87 error code which is apparently the stapler rotation unit. From some previous info, apparently I can get a replacement pressure arm set, or tighten up the home position sensor or readjust the flag that triggers the sensor. Not sure which is the most cost effective fix; does anyone have an opinion?

b) the 350 has the DSPF scanner module which has a touchscreen that operates fine. I can generate some really basic reports from it like pages printed, scans, etc.

But the main unit has a main control panel as well which on system powerup briefly lights up all lights ( Ready - Green, Data - Green, Error - Red) and shows - 'Sharp --' with a spinning clock arm. This panel after just a few seconds of running blanks out and you can't do anything with it. You can't do anything with it even while it momentarily is running.

Now, when I look at the Web Admin tool, the Machine Information page tells me the Current Status = Ready to Print
    When I look at the NIC System Status, it shows Status Print = No and
    System Status = Printer down - service requested, but without any Fault information displayed.

Does this mean the F1-87 error is stopping the entire machine even though I can print out Settings Lists, etc.?

Any ideas? TIA

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    AR-M350 printer issue

Yes, I do believe that will bring the system down. But you can try to print to the center tray and see if that works. As far as F1-87, I would look for 4 swing guides right above and to the left staple unit. They should move a little if you push the staple unit back. If it snags on one that may be your problem. I have seen the spring attached to those break or fall off.

As far as the small display and buttons on the display, that are inoperable when you connect the scanner option to the printer.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    AR-M350 printer issue

With the ARFN6 attached (F1-87) there is no center tray; may be able to copy/print to the left exit tray.
    The small display and buttons can be used if your scanner's display is not working. Press and hold the Menu and OK key at the same time while powering on will get you into diag mode.
    Check those guides and springs as MHeon suggests, that is a fairly common problem. Clear error code with TC 14.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Technician 250+ Posts
    There are a lot of different issues that can cause a f1-87 code on this machine. It is a staple rotation error. It will prevent you from printing anything from your PC. You can try to see if the guides are moving correctly or if the right angled piece of crap metal piece is not stuck behind the guides. If you can't figure it out then unplug everything and remove the finisher from the machine. It is not that hard. After that reconfigure your print drivers as you do not have the finisher. You now will be able to print. No staple, no sort. The staple unit moves back and forth on these. There are upper guides above it that have springs holding them. Sometimes the springs break. Other times there is a metel bracket that is part of the staple unit that becomes bent and needs to be replaced. It really is a suck job to do this! Also, I have seen the upper guides need extra lube to get them to move more easily. The newer finisher firmware has the staple unit try twice before throwing a code. (thats how bad the design was!) Good luck!

boomer400
    Well, looked at the springs (at least, what I think everyone's referring to), 4 springs mounted on small arms under clear plastic frame across the metal bars in the center of the finisher unit. They all looked like they were properly mounted. I flipped everything thing around to make sure they were moving freely and also moved a small plastic T shaped frame (that's mounted vertically on the backplane of the finisher) up and down to make sure it was moving freely also. This unit's been sitting idle for a while and collected some dust (not too bad, cleaned up with a couple of wipes pretty quickly).
    Restarted the machine and it seems to work ok for now. Had to pull out an errant paper clip that was messing up the duplexer and remove a stuck staple from the stapler unit but otherwise seems ok. Now I just need to cycle a ream or so through it before giving it to the office.

I did notice in the finisher unit that the rubber belts which drive it (2 of them right in the center) were not particularily tight. Without too much effort, they could be moved by hand without driving the gears, is that normal?

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer400 View Post
    I did notice in the finisher unit that the rubber belts which drive it (2 of them right in the center) were not particularily tight. Without too much effort, they could be moved by hand without driving the gears, is that normal?
    Thats normal.

boomer400
    This unit has a scanner firmware v. 06.04.00, PCU 9.03.00, Main mH.00, Boot m 4.02. Do any of these firmware have any recommended updates? And is there a simple way to get them or does one have to go to Sharp (or Sharp dealer) to get it? For that matter, is there a way to put a standard hard drive into the system to store images? Or is it easier to just use the FTP service to send it to a FTP server?