Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    garlonwv

Question FTP in use warning

I have a Sharp AR-M620U installed on a Windows 2003 network environment. All users terminal into the server to complete their work. The 620 is a shared printer for all users. We also use the scan to e-mail feature to send previously printed documents via e-mail. Further, we use the scan to desktop / folder option to accomplish similar tasks. Since installation on the network, when users initially login into the server, they receive a Pop-up warning indicating "FTP port is in use". Once you click "OK", you do not experience it again until you log back in. In trying to find a cause, I noticed the error did not appear if SharpDesk did not load.

What within the SharpDesk could be causing this and can I eliminate the error without losing functionality?

BTW: Forgot to mention neither Sharp nor my contractor have any clues to why this is happening let alone how to fix it...

Thanks in advance for any responses!
    Last edited by garlonwv; 03-09-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Forgot a detail...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    FTP in use warning

The Sharp Network scanner tool is nothing more than an ftp server. It has to run as a program and cannot run as a service. My guess would be ( and this is only a guess) that when someone signs in as a remote user the scanner tool is trying to run in the remote session. But because it is already running you are getting the warning message.

garlonwv
    That makes sense. I checked the Startup folder for each user, including the All Users folder, and did not see a link... It is listed in the startup items in the System Configuration Utility. I am concerned disabling the FTPserver there will terminate the overall scan function... do you have any suggestions?

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    FTP in use warning

In the Network Scanner Tool change the port number (usually defaulted to port 25) to something like 4687 or 5133 in the System Options tab.
    Thanks, it is usually defaulted to port 21.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

garlonwv
    The port was set to by default 4687, and I tried changing it to 21, but no change to the symptoms. Still getting the error. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Any other thoughts?