Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

Ptc unit on mx machines

I've seen the PTC unit mentioned several times causing various problems on the MX machines. Could someone give me the range of problems this can cause. We just had an MX3100 with intermittent POD2N jams and found TT-20156 which talked about the PTC unit. Put a new one in, reset the counter and it fixed the problem. What other problems can I look for from the PTC. Thanks

OMD-227
    Any C4 code is associated with a faulty PTC. You are now aware of the jamming problem too. Thats about it. Just carry a new one with you all the time, because I guarantee you that you will need one available. I have 3 in my car right now. Its not a common problem, but when its down, its a quick fix, so just carry one.

Service Manager 250+ Posts bonnie750's Avatar
    Wazza, do you drive a truck? i think i carry a large car stock .....but surely there's a limit?

only jokin'

Bill

OMD-227
    I carry alot! As I only work on the Sharp color machines, and any Sharp B/W over 55CPM, I have alot of stuff in my car. Most of the time I can hardly see out of the back..... but my first fix rate is exceptional!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ptc unit on mx machines

Gwaddle could you send me TT-20156?

I had that same dam problem and if it was not for Wazza i'd probably of had to replace the dam machine or something stupid since every tech support guy and other tech i called up had no idea what was going on and none really seemed to believe me when i told them the fix.

Wish i had access to the American Sharp support site. Seems like there is a ton more information there vs the Canadian one.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

OMD-227
    From the Australian Sharp Support Site.............

There are other bulletins on the C4 codes, but this is the repair hint regarding the jamming caused by the PTC unit.

Model:
    MX2600N, MX3100N
    Date: 21/10/2009 12:16:00 PMSymptom:
    Intermittent POD2_N jams, when performing long runs of duplex copying or printing from all trays (excluding bypass).
    Cause:
    Noise or poor condition of PTC may cause POD2_N jams in duplex mode only.

During this jam condition, one sheet of paper will always concertina between the fuser and exit unit, as the exit/delivery unit stops rotation. The remaining sheets will be found in ADU (Right Exterior Door), Transfer section & just prior to CPFD1 sensor.

Also check PTC operation using duplex mode with Heavy 1. If an abnormal sound is heard and/or C4-00 trouble is indicated, replace the PTC unit. Note: Ensure to reset the PTC maintenance counter (SIM 24-04) after PTC replacement.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Wazza.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a PTC?

PTC = Pre Transfer Corona

It was added on the Pastel2 and C-Jupiter2 series to improve quality problems that there were on previous series (Pastel and C-Jupiter) due to poor transfer.

OMD-227
    You will notice a big difference in how long the waste toner bottles last too. As there is now more transfer onto the page, there is less toner being cleaned off the primary belt.