Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

ARBC260 scan problems

Having bar graph type images overlaid on my copy and 46-24 print. Have reflashed ROMs and was going through the color calibration with satisfactory results until I did a 46-24 print. Please see attached document. This has been an on-going problem that I initially resolved by properly grounding the unit but it has since returned. Have the unit now in the shop to do with as I like so any and all suggestions are more than welcome. The bar code image only occurs on color copies/prints, B/W are fine with good CQ.

Thank you for your time and effort in this matter.

Bil
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bilyahn; 03-25-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    ARBC260 scan problems

What a cool unique image.

I've never seen anything like that before but,... the only real candidate is the MFP PWB, or possibly the print controller. Since it uses LED exposure there is not a common laser unit for all colors. The "barcode" areas appear to have C, M, Y, & K color components, ruling any one individual LED assembly.

The fill is not very good. Have you tried changing out a couple of the toner cartridges to improve the fill? The word I got from my Sharp tech rep was that the machine should have (4) new cartridges before doing a calibration. I must confess that I didn't do it very often. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    What a cool unique image.

I've never seen anything like that before but,... the only real candidate is the MFP PWB, or possibly the print controller. Since it uses LED exposure there is not a common laser unit for all colors. The "barcode" areas appear to have C, M, Y, & K color components, ruling any one individual LED assembly.

The fill is not very good. Have you tried changing out a couple of the toner cartridges to improve the fill? The word I got from my Sharp tech rep was that the machine should have (4) new cartridges before doing a calibration. I must confess that I didn't do it very often. =^..^=
    I should of given a little more information. All the toners have been replaced although not recently but within the last 200-300 color copies. This machine has a total of 13K copies of which 1600 are full color. I noticed the fill as well but that is the best image that I had. The color copies had smaller "barcode" images in more places. Normally I don't do the toners for a color cal unless it is showing toner is low but in this case I know the toners are full and the mag roller looks good (no lines like these toners like to do). I have another machine to swap stuff with (a ARC260M so only the consumables). I was thinking that I would start at ADJ #1 in the SM and just go step by step and see what happens. I was hoping someone might have seen this though and save me a few hours of work.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    ARBC260 scan problems

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

OMD-227
    I've had this exact issue. It was a few years ago, but I remember it quite well.

It was the ICU memory. Its under the standard output tray. Take that cover off, then the metal cover. You will see some SD-RAM modules. The problem will be one of those.

Same issues with the color copy/print too. It also can cause part of the testcart copy to appear in the wrong parts of the page, eg, scrambled data.

If its not the ICU memory, I'll be very surprised!

OMD-227
    Come on Bill, dont keep me waiting............ I am so keen to know if your issue was fixed by the ICU memory.

As I had only ever seen this problem once before (and was certain I never would again), I am really hoping new ICU memory was the fix. Please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Come on Bill, dont keep me waiting............ I am so keen to know if your issue was fixed by the ICU memory.

As I had only ever seen this problem once before (and was certain I never would again), I am really hoping new ICU memory was the fix. Please advise.
    Well I swapped the memory but then I had to head out without doing anything. Crisis management at it's best and I didn't get back to the shop until after close of business so hopefully I'll be able to confirm your advice tomorrow!!!! I surely hope so!

Okay here is what I did. I swapped the memory (ICU first), same problem, added additional memory, same problem, swapped print controller memory, same problem, swapped print controllers, same problem. Put everything back to the original configuration, problem went away?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WTFO I figure it will come back in a short period of time and I will get called out for it again. An interesting side to this. I printed out various test patterns. The 61-4 skew and focus patterns were just fine, also the 64-1 pattern 9 (the 4 color bars) and a couple of other test patterns, but the 64-2 image had barcodes on it as well as the 46-24 test pattern. We loaded it back up for it 90 mile trip home and we shall see. All the memory I used was from an operating machine in good condition.

Thanks for all of the information. I'm sure we will be revisiting this problem in the near future.

Bil

OMD-227
    Well..... I am surprised!

I was sure it would be the ICU memory. But I've only seen that issue once before, and that was the fix..... so who knows.

Weird one for sure. Hope it stays working for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Well..... I am surprised!

I was sure it would be the ICU memory. But I've only seen that issue once before, and that was the fix..... so who knows.

Weird one for sure. Hope it stays working for you.
    Thanks wazza. This one is going to have my boss pulling his hair out for sure!! Luckily we have access to a good supply of spare parts for this series. I figure if it comes back it must have something to do with the ICU board itself. But we can hope that it will stay gone this time. Thanks again for all of the help on this and all of the other posts that you have commented on. Blackcat and you are fantastic with your level of experience and knowledge.

Have a wonderful day.

Bil