Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts GottaFixEmAll's Avatar

Sharp AL-1655 CS

This model has two cassettes ...

Feed problems from top cassette, works occasionally, then not at all

Switched to bottom cassette, worked fine at first, then stared not feeding ... then it'll work again, then it quits entirely ...

Switch to bypass, works ... eventually quits, now it's working again - according to customer: it wouldn't feed at all yesterday ... but it (the bypass) worked in my shop today !!!

I'm thinking that it's probably a driver chip on the main board, the clutches are good, and if manually fired at the appropriate time, makes a copy and timing and image are fine !!

any ideas ??? ....................... Thanks, Mike

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Sharp AL-1655 CS

What jam codes?

Without any real information I can make some baldfaced guesses. How about the exit sensor flag? Is it moving smoothly, properly? Is it damaged? Try testing the sensors individually in sim 30-01 to see if any of them are intermittent. =^..^=
    Last edited by blackcat4866; 04-15-2010 at 01:52 AM.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Sharp AL 1655CS

The problem isn't jamming ... the problem is that the feed tires don't turn, no paper is fed !! first the problem was with the top cassette, then the bottom, and now the bypass ..................

I tried removing and resetting all the connectors on the main board, same problem ... except that this time both cassettes won't feed !!

If I trip the upper feed solenoid the clutch turns drives the feed wheels, picks up paper, sends it thru the copier and makes a copy !! ... (with careful timing that is)

I originally thought that a paperfeed sensor in the scanning (or optics) section might be dirty, but wouldn't that cause a jam code ?? possible related to optics movement ???

I'm still thinking that the main board has a problem ... but I've never had this problem with one of these !! I have a AL-1540 but the board is different so I can't swap it .........

Thanks, Mike

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Sharp AL-1655 CS

It can really only be the main board, by your description anyway. Take the leap... =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Sharp AL 1655CS

It is a leap !! ... although 99.9 % sure, being an independent and not having similar machines in stock, you have to pop for a board and hope that fixes it ... I will talk to my Board Repair facility and see what they think - not sure if Ambassador fixes Sharp, but HyTech might !!!

Thanks for the help !!! Mike

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Sharp AL-1655 CS

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    What jam codes?

Without any real information I can make some baldfaced guesses. How about the exit sensor flag? Is it moving smoothly, properly? Is it damaged? Try testing the sensors individually in sim 30-01 to see if any of them are intermittent. =^..^=

Boy would I love to have any kind of service manual for the sharp al-1655..

it would save me alot of "google" time if i could actually test out the components.. would it be possible for me to obtain the service manual?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Sharp AL 1655CS

Quote Originally Posted by GottaFixEmAll View Post
    The problem isn't jamming ... the problem is that the feed tires don't turn, no paper is fed !! first the problem was with the top cassette, then the bottom, and now the bypass ..................

I tried removing and resetting all the connectors on the main board, same problem ... except that this time both cassettes won't feed !!

If I trip the upper feed solenoid the clutch turns drives the feed wheels, picks up paper, sends it thru the copier and makes a copy !! ... (with careful timing that is)

I originally thought that a paperfeed sensor in the scanning (or optics) section might be dirty, but wouldn't that cause a jam code ?? possible related to optics movement ???

I'm still thinking that the main board has a problem ... but I've never had this problem with one of these !! I have a AL-1540 but the board is different so I can't swap it .........

Thanks, Mike
    I am having The EXACT same problem.. tray 2 will not turn at all and says "add paper to tray 2".

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Sharp AL-1655 CS

way back when the predecessors of these were introduced the 'v' tooth of the solenoid triggered arm that stops/releases the spring clutch would stick in the gear (clutch ring). By lightly melting the tip of the 'v' it would keep it from sticking and would still work fine.
    You should take the back off and see if the solenoid is trying to activate the arm or not for all trays, maybe the spring clutches are just crusty from age.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toner Boy View Post
    maybe the spring clutches are just crusty from age.
    Is this machine in an environment where the clutches might be dirty? Even if not, a bad clutch can put too much force on the clutch sleeve. When the solenoid tries to pull in, it doesn't have enough force to pull due to the extra resistance. The solenoid might work in simulation because there isn't the added pressure - nothing is turning so the extra resistance isn't there. Also, the damper pads on the solenoid can get sticky with age but that should show up in simulation or intermittent feeding. The solenoid pulls the actuator but then won't let it go due to residue from the old pad.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Sharp AL-1655 CS

Lightbulb Re: Sharp AL-1655 CS

Quote Originally Posted by djwhoo View Post
    Boy would I love to have any kind of service manual for the sharp al-1655..

it would save me alot of "google" time if i could actually test out the components.. would it be possible for me to obtain the service manual?

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

http://www.justmanuals.com

paul@justmanuals.com