Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MX-3501N

MX-3501N

Getting a F2-40 error which is a black toner sensor error have tried all tech bullitons and the problem is still the same. I'm still missing something just don't know what. any help out there.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-3501N

well, if the cart isnt bound up, toner pipe is clear, check dev unit drive belt and gears on the dv unit a broken belt would do it, or if its severely skipping, check the toner unit drive coupling on the main drive (possible main drive removal to get the best look, we've had one go bad recently.
    The dv unit belts will show a partial (ghost) void, like a cracked toner gear on a BC, just depends how often it skips and the possibility of noise. If it is the dv drive, replace both (rear most) gears and belt, the 3501 has updated gears, and expect to do a full dv unit tear down, cleaning ALL shafts and bushings (mag roller and both augers). replacement of the belt and gears only, for me has only been a short term fix, gummy shafts and bushings is underlying prob. Yeah Kansas!!

OMD-227
    I agree with Nachoman, but there is a few more things to look at.

First thing you do with F2-40 is check the dev unit. Is it empty of toner? The dev will look grey, instead of a nice black if it is running low. If the dev is grey, it means that all your pages have been solid black, or while performing Process Control (which would take longer than usual) the drum is continuously charging and is covered in toner, being cleaned off and sent to the waste toner bottle. If that is the case, you either have a faulty/worn drum or a faulty process electrode cover and case (these have been updated).

As Nachoman said, if the toner pipe is clear and toner cartridge is OK, you should first change the drum unit, or swap with a different color drum unit to see if the error changes to either F2-41, 42 or 43. This will guarantee you have a faulty/overcharging drum unit. Either rebuild or replace the whole unit.
    After that, there is a good chance you have a faulty process electrode cover and case. New parts numbers are: PFTAP0149FCZZ and PCASZ0312FCZZ (PG 46, 11 & 15). You will need to remove the whole main drive unit to replace these. This problem is an arching between the rear frame and the drum. New part numbers fix this if a new drum unit doesnt.

Another cause could be the CRUM chip on the toner. Its rare, but I have seen it cause this error. If the CRUM chip says toner is 0% but there is clearly alot of toner inside it, replace the toner, run sim 14, restart and run sim 44-6 then 44-26 immediately after restart to force machine to restore correct toner levels in the dev unit. Its rare, but its a procedure I've done in the past and worked perfectly.