Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    ar275 and changing 500 sheet upper tray pkp/feed --a little help please

Thumbs up ar275 and changing 500 sheet upper tray pkp/feed --a little help please

Not feeding from upper 500 sheet tray on AR-275. I am finding it hard to understand service manual. It tells you to remove dv and drum units which would mean access from above the pickup unit. I see a latch type tab in the middle but have not been able to open it and afraid to do damage. This is the first time I would be changing this type feed (series AR-235/275/ar-M208/237/277) . I was able to access the lower 500 sheet tray pickup unit though that one feeds fine. I feel a little foolish as it probably is a simple procedure once you know it. Any help is appreciated. Frank/ ActionPhotocopy

PS-- There is a possibility that it may not be the rollers as the pickup starts the feed and the paper is either at the lip of tray or started to go into guide and got hung up. The 2 mylars on either side of rollers at entrance to guide were a little bent. I reformed.

I saw the 3 screws and removed them and was able to access upper pickup unit on a machine I have in my place. It is ridiculous that a manufacturer couldn't make it easier to replace a frequently replaced part. When I service some HP printers and need to change feed tires I almost feel guilty about how easy it is. Frank/ActionPhotocopy

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by axyun View Post
    I saw the 3 screws and removed them and was able to access upper pickup unit on a machine I have in my place. It is ridiculous that a manufacturer couldn't make it easier to replace a frequently replaced part. When I service some HP printers and need to change feed tires I almost feel guilty about how easy it is. Frank/ActionPhotocopy
    Yes some machine is easy, but when I went to school on the AR-235/275 machine, we were told in school to set the machine up with the least used size paper on the top tray, and to set the default tray to the 2nd tray, now on the 2nd tray on down, you can change out rollers and sep pad in about 2 min.
    And to get to them 3 screws you need a realy short stubby screwdriver, I modified one, cut the handle down, to work, also I found a tool at Sears that also works, its a adaptor had 1/4 inch socket on one end, and driver bit hole on the other side, put a 2 " #2 phillips bit in there, and it will reach in the holes and you can take the screws out.
    The only other way to get to them is to pull the LSU out.
    Now this also goes for the new machines also, AR 237/277 and AR 317/257 as well

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

The first time i saw how to change thsoe rollers i think i said, "WTF".

Get the right tool for the job and it's easy. I agree it's a little bit harder than it should be but in reality these rollers can do 100k or more and these are not exactly a high volume machine so if you have to change the rollers once or twice a year on a machine, not that big of a deal.

When you PM the copier and have the drum and DV out you should pull the fuser as well and take the upper pawl guide off and clean the upper fuser roller felt that is attached to the guide. You will find it is covered in dirt and cleaning it off will get a great deal more life out of your fuser.

While the fuser is out it makes it that much easier to get those 3 screws out.

Below is a epson screw driver. No idea what you use it for on a epson but it works amazing in that little space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Thanks a lot guys. I was at customer's office early this afternoon and was able to change the rollers and sep pad. I had a cut-down stubby that I use for Canon IC D660 series fuser removal so it worked okay. Have a nice weekend. Frank/AP