Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar

MX5001 CPFD1-S1 Jams

Had and MX5001 that was jamming almost all the time. Sometimes you could get 5 or 10 copies then it would jam again, always just as the paper was reaching the registration roller. Did some research here and on Sharp IDNC and determined it must be the PTC unit. Went back to the customer today with the PTC and just to be safe a PS unit. Put in the PTC and reset the counter (yes Wazza I remembered to reset the counter) and everything was fine for about 150 copies. Then it started jamming just past the fuser. I replaced the PS unit and it went back to jamming at the registration roller every time. By now I was really frustrated (and I admit, saying bad words under my breath). Then I realized about the only common component that hadn't been replaced was the CPFD1 sensor. I stuck my finger on the reflector and it came up white with paper dust. Cleaned the reflector and blew off the sensor and ran about 500 copies without missing a lick. Don't need any help with this one, but I just thought I'd pass it along incase anyone else out there has terminal brain fart.

Good job,
    but why didn't you check the misfeed history in sim. 22-03, before any attempt? It would have helped you!

I did. I also checked the sensors under sim 30 and they all seemed to be working right. I don't know what I missed, but it must have been something.

Nothing else to say: another Sharp electronic mistery.

OMD-227
    I'm happy you remembered the PTC reset!

However, CPFD1 jams are usually nothing to do with the PTC unit. POD2_N with no obvious jam cause is the usual giveaway that the PTC unit is faulty.

CPFD1 jams are usually caused by either very dirty/dusty vertical transport rollers, faulty/dirty vertical transport sensors or a faulty transport clutch within the PF drive unit. I completely agree with you that on the C-Jupiter2's the sensor can get dusty as it is a reflector sensor, causing many jamming problems. Its not the common actuating arm sensor like all other MX machines.

On every single call I attend, the vertical transport rollers are cleaned, and I quickly clean off the reflector sensors too. I've learnt this issue a long time ago. I still dont know why Sharp went to a reflector sensor on the C-Jupiter2's, as the old actuating arm sensor design is so good on all other machines. Its not like the sensor arm gets damaged in any way, or is hard to replace.....
    Oh well.... just another item to clean each call..............

I think what threw me was that it always stopped in exactly the same place, so I wasn't thinking rollers, although I did clean them, I didn't really think they were the problem. Don't know why I didn't check for a reflector, I just didn't expect to see that type of sensor. You don't see them much any more. Oh well, like I said, terminal brain fart.

OMD-227
    Just want to add something to this post & jam code issue (CPFD1_S on MX4100/5000 series only).

As I previously stated, I have found a big issue with the change to the reflection sensor in the vertical paper path of the MX4100 & 5000 series machines. Excessive paper dust on the reflection sensor or its black reference plate on the lower side door causes alot of CPFD1_S jams. Even after changing the PF clutches or PF drive unit complete, this would still occur with some of our machines.
    I admit the paper quality used by these clients was pretty crap & had a high dust content, so therefore was always going back every 2 weeks or so to clean the sensors & transport rollers and it would then be fine again.
    Thinking that the paper path on all the other MX color machines had the regular interrupter sensors and they never had any problems over the last few years (even clients previously using the same paper brand/type), we have found that changing CPFD1 sensor to the old interrupter type has worked fantastic!! (Please see attached picture).
    On the machines with alot of CPFD1 jams, with obvious paper dust issues affecting the reflection sensors, changing the upper sensor to an interrupter version had led to virtually no CPFD1 jams over the last 2 months (where previously they would be in the hundreds).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: MX5001 CPFD1-S1 Jams

Good information! Do you happen to have the p/n for the sensor you put in?