Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Network Scanning Error

A customer had scan to email working fine for a month after they got the machine (MX-3500), but all of a sudden they are getting a scan error. It is the scan error where it says "selected servers are not found contact your administrator". Nothing on their end has changed and it is very frustrating. The settings one the webpage are good to go, and I was going to try and reset the NIC today. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Network Scanning Error

Your title says Network Scanning Error but the body says scan to email. If you're scanning to email using the hostname, make sure your DNS servers haven't changed. If you're scanning to the IP address, make sure you can still get to it.
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Has upir network configuration changed at the site? If any security settings have changed or any equipment has been replaced that may be it. Also like tmaged said make sure your DNS is correct. Also make sure the ports for those services are open on any firewalls that may be between the copier and the internet.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Network Scanning Error

If they are using something such as exchange, then you can test the config of the machine by using the following telnet commands.

1. telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25 (where the x's are, replace with ip address or server name)
    2. helo

You should get a response something like 'helo xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'.

This will prove that the mail server is still running correctly and all you may need to do is to get the copiers IP Address or email address whitelisted on the server.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Technician
    DNS Settings are correct and we are working hard with their IT professional to diagnose the problem. It seems as though the copier picks and chooses which scan-to-emails will go through. It is not a file size issue as most scans are a few pages. A Scan-to-Email will go through and then 2 hrs later the same scan to the same address will not go through. I just received and note saying Send Error 80-0000, can someone shed light to what that error is?

Owner/Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Network Scanning Error

I would try:
    1. Increase the timeout (I think you can on this model)
    2. Use the IP address of the SMTP server to eliminate a possible lag in DNS resolving the hostname to IP.
    3. Try a different server.

I had a Toshiba doing exactly the same thing. They'd send the same thing five times in a row & it would finally go thru on the last try. I switched it to send thru my mail server last week.
    I haven't heard back from the customer yet. No news is good news !!
    Hope that helps !
    -Tony

www.dtios.com
    Become a fan on Facebook

Service Manager 100+ Posts glewisme's Avatar
    Where's there server.We have a customer who scans to to file on a server 150 miles away and sometimes due to the internet lag it times out at times.Intermittently!

hait

Re: Network Scanning Error

I was experiencing this problem and tracked the issue down to system settings -> image send settings -> scan settings, sender name field was empty. Mail servers can have a setting to reject otherwise approved mail if there it doesn't have all the necessary header information, such as sender name.

Cool123

In my case it was because of the setting "PDF". For some reason it does not work with PDF, but with TIFF it works!

tomscott2340

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same issue..

I have two scanners doing it.. Ran the SMTP test on both Sharp MX-B402 and Sharp MX-3100N. Very inconsistent results. It would pass, then the next time it would fail, then it would pass 5 times in a row, then fail 3 times, etc.. Without changing anything..

Tried both with using the server name and with the IP it resolves to, to eliminate DNS, same results..

I ran running pings to the scanners while working on them and didn't get any drops or high latency..

The error codes in the logs of the scanners when it fails are 80-0000.

Very frustrating..