Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-FNX1 Inner Finisher jams with F1-20 code

Thanks for this info but in my case we changed the cartridge but no luck and then continued to change the entire staple unit with no good result. Finally the Finisher had to be replaced, my supervisor is yet to find time to check it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi Wazza, I know you have waited for too long for this one. Because we replaced the finisher I never bother about it till today when I was less busy to have a look at it. You can believe what resolved the problem. I replaced the finisher harness today and it stapled ok. Thanks.

OMD-227
    Oh man...... That code has never been a faulty harness for me.
    Since the FNX1 firmware was upgraded years ago to prevent extra harness wear-and-tear due to excessive movement, we have not had a single harness break.
    I'm happy you fixed it. Keep that finisher as a spare in your workshop now.
    Although, I'm still very surprised F1-20 was the harness.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar
    I have one of these in the field that is not stacking the sheets just right before it staples, the last sheet, or sometimes a middle sheet of a 10 or more sheet job is not stacked with the others, now let me say its off by maybe a MM or 1.5 MM so the staple catches the edge of the sheet, seen this happen couple times, got in there and cleaned the rollers and them belts that pull the paper back to the compliler. some times it will catch them all, sometimes it misses one or 2 in a stack.
    Its in a MX 3501 and its used by a engenering dept of large paper mill, so can we say nit pick.
    I could see no nicks or cuts in any paper guides, mylars look to be all in place, I am thinking static buildup in the paper.
    The room is kept real cool, air in the room feels real dry, since they deal with all sorts of prints and paper work there.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Take the finisher top cover off and ensure all those rubber rollers are seated well on the reel. What I had was that the stack was misaligned as a result of one of those rubber rollers slightly came off its reel.

Technician
    We had the same problem today. It seems to be the harness what's been damaged that caused the trouble.

OMD-227
    How come you guys are getting damaged harnesses?

Since the firmware 01.06.00 came out for the FNX1's in January 2008, we have not had a single harness issue. Surely you have been upgrading the finisher as well as the engine?

That version was designed to stop all breakages of the harness, as it made the staple carriage not move during initialisation and before each print job. Excess movement of the harness (and not having the harness strengthening piece fitted) was cracking the wires.

I'm very surprised you are having harness breakages. We've had none anywhere.

Technician

Re: MX-FNX1 Inner Finisher jams with F1-20 code

I know this is an old thread but unstuck me today.Cleaned and oiled the rail and works like a charm just wanted to say thanks for the advice.

Re: MX-FNX1 Inner Finisher jams with F1-20 code

Quote Originally Posted by OMD-227 View Post
    I've had this a few times now..... It took me ages to work out what was going on, but now I fix this quickly each time. Its not the harness or finisher PWB.

F1-19 & F1-20 are Finisher Pre-Alignment motor trouble (front & rear).

Basically, the staple unit runs front to rear along a lubricated shaft. There is an arm & sensor assembly attached the back of the staple unit. As the staple unit moves along the shaft, it passes 3 points which activate the arm & sensor on the back of the staple unit. The 3 points indicate where the staple unit is located along the shaft. There is one at the front, one in the middle and one at the rear. The 3 points look like small white plastic triangles. The highest point of these small white plastic triangles, activates the sensor & arm on the back of the staple unit, which tells the staple unit where it is........ hope that makes sense.

Your trouble code is caused by a slow return (or no return) of the sensor arm on the back of the staple unit. As the staple unit passes the middle point, the sensor arm is not responding when it gets to the rear point (where the staple unit is set to fire the staple).

If you were performing a staple job selecting the 3rd staple option, you would get F1-19, which is the front pre alignment trouble, as the staple unit cannot detect where the front staple position is.

I am attaching some pictures of the points which should be cleaned & lubricated. If you take the finisher out of the machine and run the staple unit back & forth with your hand, you will see the sensor arm responding slowly after passing the 3 position points. Once the sensor arm is cleaned & lubricated at the joints it sits on, the sensor arm responds quickly and activates the sensor.

You'll understand more when you have it out in front of you. There is the possibility that the sensor on the staple carriage is bad which would also cause this, but each time I've seen this, it was always the sensor arm responding too slowly, as the carriage moves quickly along the shaft.
    Works lika a charm now, this was the problem for me, thank you very much.