Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-M1100 jamming at registration roller

I have Hercules MX-M1100 with paper stopping at resist/registration roller just after registration sensor.
    The paper is not damage but slightly folds in the middle. The MFD was doing a long run at the time. The jam code is PPD3_S1. The PPD3 sensor changed state ok but registration motor made no change even when disconnected. I checked the connectors at rear of machine, cleaned rollers but no luck. I am suspecting the reg. motor but wandering if someone had had a similar situation.
    Also is there anyway the reg. motor can be checked in simulation.

OMD-227
    Engine motors are always checked in sim 6-01.

I've had one Hercules need a new registration unit motor as it simply died.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rayjeek View Post
    I have Hercules MX-M1100 with paper stopping at resist/registration roller just after registration sensor.
    The paper is not damage but slightly folds in the middle. The MFD was doing a long run at the time. The jam code is PPD3_S1. The PPD3 sensor changed state ok but registration motor made no change even when disconnected. I checked the connectors at rear of machine, cleaned rollers but no luck. I am suspecting the reg. motor but wandering if someone had had a similar situation.
    Also is there anyway the reg. motor can be checked in simulation.
    Thanks a lot, will give a go

OMD-227
    I've been giving this one alot of thought...... (my head is now hurtin').

In all of our Hercules machines, I've never had that particular code come up. I've been through every single call, every service bulletin/tech tip and every firmware revision detail list, and I cant find anything. The one time I had to change the PS motor, was due to it failing in sim & user mode. It just simply wouldn't power up. One taken from another machine quickly detected a dead motor, but it was not giving that jam code, it was causing massive paper jams obviously as the PS/rego rollers were not rotating at all.

If your machine was on a very long print run at the time, there is the slight possibility that the PS motor could have maybe overheated or have an individual fault, but most of our Herc's do several thousand each day on long print runs too without this issue at rego.

Are you sure the lead-edge is not being caught on something stuck in the rego unit? Please tell me you dont run labels through a Herc.
    Clean any paper dust around your sensors and make sure the firmware is current (ICU 02.06.H0 at least). Double check everything associated with the PS/rego unit.

Whatever this is, I'd love to know, because its not something common thats for sure.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Silvertoast's Avatar
    the 1100 has double feed sensors in that area, if they are bad u can get jams there also ( dont remember what jam code they throw) if replaced they have to be replaced as a pair with the pwb

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hi Wazza don't let your head pain you, am going to post a fresh one for MX5000 which I know you can easily crack down.

My supervisor visited the MXM1100 today and after his investigation he found out that by turning the registration unit motor by hand the gear of reg roller did not engaged to turn. He is therefore suspecting the gears because the reg motor was tested in sim and found ok. Will update you if the replacement of the gearing system resolves the problem.

OMD-227
    Nice one. Didnt think of that. Never seen broken gears yet in the PS Unit of a Herc.\

The whole PS unit is available as a spare part too. Maybe order that for such a machine, instead of just changing a few gears.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

Re: MX-M1100 jamming at registration roller

Hi all
    what was the solution to this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by igi View Post
    Hi all
    what was the solution to this problem?
    wow.....long time agoo......

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts igi's Avatar

hi all I am back from the customer now.