Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Sharp MX2600N user authentification

Hi

I've just installed a MX2600N on our Network. As it I am not using LDAP, so the machine is not fully integrated with AD.

There is no need to use any of the MX2600 settings for authentification when the machine is being used for printing out, as this is handled by user groups within Windows Server, and also by Print Management software.

However, we do need local security on the MFP to prevent unauthorised use of the copier, such as PIN codes. And here is the problem. If I enable user authentification on the MFP console, then it won't allow domain users to print out, without taking them through an extra authentification stage. If I do NOT enable user authentification on the MFP console, then anybody who walks past can use the photocopier. Being in a public place, this is not good!

This is very frustrating, especially considering that our last printer, a Ricoh C2500, allowed photocopier users to have a PIN code to use the photocopier, and the printer just worked normally.

Quandry. Is there an easy way to solve this? Tell me I'm just being stupid....
    Last edited by Jason210; 06-24-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Have you gone into the printing preferences, and selected the job handling tab, user number and put in a valid PIN and applied? Just leave the auto job review unchecked. This should allow automatic printing without any extra steps.

OMD-227
    I agree with Dave. Just apply a pin number within the print driver and printing will always work. You still login as normal on the machine.

Technician
    I did that. I put a number in the appropriate authentification field, in the job handling tob, on the printer driver window. I thought that would work, but when I try to print out from a workstation account, a dialogue box pops up asking me to confirm the number, and I have to write the number in again.

Thanks for the help, btw.

OMD-227
    What's our email Jason? I'll send through the Sharp info on User Authentication setup. I think you are missing a step somewhere along the line here.

Technician
    Thanks. It's jason dot dedonno at asperokompetens dot se.

OMD-227
    Info sent.

Technician
    Thanks

Service Manager 250+ Posts bonnie750's Avatar
    Hello Wazza

I have trained some customers on how to install and maintain pin numbers. they find the mostly text instruction manual difficult and time-taking to use. Is the info you have more graphics than text? i could really use some info like that to produce a handy guide to issue to users.

Bill

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Sharp MX2600N user authentification

go to mfps' web page, user control, default settings, and make sure disabling printing by invalid user is unchecked.