Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

cant copy files to usb pen drive

hello guys i am trying to export the HDD settings etc.... in simulation 56-2 form MXM453N to my usb pen drive and it gives me an error HDD error,does my pen drive have to be formatted? i do have info on my usb pen drive, need some help with this one.

OMD-227
    It should work perfectly fine. Are you using the front USB port (default) or the rear one (not active)? Can you perform the backup of SRAM & EEPROM data OK? Is it only affecting the HDD data?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    cant copy files to usb pen drive

Can you copy other files to it? from your PC?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    i am thinking here that i did have a problem with the same usb pen drive copying stuff to another HDD before might have to check out the pen drive, and i did use the front USB. with HDD backup only, did not think about trying the SRAM & EEPROM, i'll get back to you guys.thanks again

OMD-227
    I've just tested & confirmed this works fine on a MXM503N (same series as your 453N). Its exactly the same procedure as any other MX machine.
    Its got to be something to do with your USB stick. Would love to know what the outcome is.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    heya wazza i did a format on my usb pen drive with windows xp and sucessfully imported the HDD/SDRAM/EEPROM files on my pen drive, got one question though,if i export the settings to another machine and for some reason it dont work, what do i need to do to get that machine back to what is was before? format HDD?

OMD-227
    I'm glad the format of the USB stick fixed the issues. Nice one!

Are you meaning what to do if the import fails on the other machine, or, how to get the other machine back to how it was before the import?

If its the first one, I've never seen an export/import fail yet. I make a clone of every single machine we have (thousands) and keep them as backups for any future emergency. The times I've needed the backups to import, it has always worked perfectly.

If its the second one, The only thing you could do is have a clone of the other machine to begin with before importing another machines settings, just incase it doesnt fix any issue or you dont like the setting changes. Simply reapply the original clone.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    ah, got ya buddy, you mean clone the entire hdd? how do you go about doing that?

OMD-227
    The entire HDD doesnt get cloned during the 56-02 export/import process, just the data on it.

The whole process is designed to be simple & keep the backup file sizes small. You would have noticed the data size on your USB stick was only a few hundred Kb, if that.