Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

Message to load paper

I got a strange one, AR-M 207, the one that looks like a cross between the older AR 207 and a AR-M 277.
    It will feed paper from the cassettes, both of them, feed a couple of sheets and pause saying to load what ever size paper is in the cass, still plenty of paper in them.
    One tray is set to 8.5x111 and the other is 8.5x11r cass 1 and 2, the MFT feeds ok.
    This happens to both cass. I have tried the usual, clean sensors, swapping trays, ect.
    I have never seen one doing this before, and once message pops up, hitting CA will clear it and let it feed another sheet.
    Tray 2 has a removable feed sect, had it out, cleaned it well, sensors and rollers, but no go.
    I am thinking a logic/main PWB issue here, but want some other thoughts on it also.
    Thanks in advance guys and gals.
    V

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Message to load paper

Is the proper paper size programmed for each tray? This is common on Panther & Pegasus.

This machine does not auto detect paper size in the trays. If the customer changes the paper size, the machine's paper feed sensors will idenify the size discrepancy and tell you to: "Load letter paper" (or whatever size is programmed to the desired tray).

Program the correct paper size. Press "Paper Size Enter" (size indicator blinks) > "Tray Select" to choose the paper tray > "Original Size Enter" to select new paper size > "Start" to lock in entry. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I should have put that in there also, I checked all that, sometimes it will pass 3 or 4 sheets then the message shows up, sometimes just 1 sheet, there is a sensor to show when cass is empty, and thats what it seem to act like.

Technician 250+ Posts
    I remember a switch on the rear of the machine that goes bad. It was a really common problem. Each cassette has it's own switch. The switch gets actuated by the cassette when it is closed. When the machine reads no paper, turn it off then on, if it now says there is paper then you have a bad switch. It has been years since I worked on Sharp, but it was so common that I actually remember the part number QSW-B0017QSZZ it is the tray detect switch. It is really easy to change. Take off the back cover and use a sping hook to pop it out as it just snaps in. If the machine has two trays then replace them both as they seem to go bad around the same time. They are electromechanical switches that are poorly made. They have a black body and a white actuator. I use to carry 10 of these at a time. I am sure this is your issue.

I know the switch your talking about, the AR-M 235 and all that series of machines use it back there for that, I dont know if this one has it or not, but I will check, never thought to look there, I guess cause I did not think it had it,I was thinking of the sensor above the cass between the half-moon pick up rollers.
    Checked the parts guide, found it, its on the oppsite side as the AR-M 235 types.
    Gonna give it a try, worth a shot old as the machine is, I was thinking that switch gave a different message though when it did not work, but since these cassetts lift with springs not a cass lift motor, could be the cause and cure.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Message to load paper

I had an issue with ARM160D recently whereby Tray1 + Bypass tray feeds ok but Tray2 gave similar sympton you described above. It jams after feeding a sheet and says 'load A4/A3 paper' depending on the type of paper loaded at the time. We changed Tray2 pwb, paper size sensors, tray empty sensor but no luck; what finally resolved the issue was replacement of Tray2 feed clutch and the gear attached to it. I changed the gear too because it was covered with so much grease. You could give a thought to this after trying all that have been suggested by other colleagues.

Technician 250+ Posts
    Vincent64, I am sure the switch is your issue. Even though their are other sensors, this sensor trumps them because the machine thinks the cassette is not installed. Rayjeek, the clutch in your machine was most likely slipping or binding causing the machine to read a different size paper than what it expected. That is why you would get the load proper size paper message but also you would get paper jam as well. The other odd thing these machines did was when the sensor went bad just before the reg. roller, the machine would feed a sheet all the way out and then indicate a jam. So many tech's would change the exit sensor. The paper path is so short on these that by the time the machine saw the bad sensor not change state the paper would be out of the machine. Kind of weird.

Well got the switches installed, top switch is a pain to get out, like chaning feed roller shaft.
    And they did not a bit of good at all, still getting same message, going to go with PS clutch now, since its the old style wrap spring on these machines, will change PF clutch while at it, while trying to get CQ back I noticed that reg. was off on copies.
    Will keep ya'll posted.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Message to load paper

It's pretty common on the Panther series to chew up the drive gears in the feed unit. You might take a look at that while your in there. There is usually tell-tale gear noise associated with it. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=