Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Unhappy annoying ERROR L4-04 on MX2600N

guys i went to a customer that says they were getting intermitant paper jams, upon investigation, i noticed that everytime you make a copy from any off the paper feed trays,
    81/2x14 or 81/2x11 the copier stops and says L4-04, i chec out the error on my sharp manual and it says Developing motor trouble (BLACK), so i did my normal checks as the manual says, i dont think the motor is faulty based on it working in simualtion 25-1 and the machine also gets in the ready state and there is NO error codes only when you decide to make a copy it comes up, i am pretty stumped at the moment and dont know aht should be my next step, Hellllllp.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    With the Sharp MX series, any weird issues I always reloaded the firmware first. This usually clears the issue.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts android790's Avatar
    If the motor is ok, check for the dev binding up. How old is it? I have never had that L4 code. Try new starter. If may be overtoneing. Good luck

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    pretty new copier, been at the customer site like 2mths, so i am abit puzzled, the dv units look pretty good.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar
    I have seen this if the toner was shipped inside the machine. I think it is SIM 7, turn off DV checking. This should clear the code. Lift the lid and run skyshots until the density is around 60. Don't forget to turn DV checking back on when finished.

OMD-227
    I have had this code only once so far, on the new MX series. It turned out to be the black drum blade had flipped. I know the code is for black developer motor lock, and that the drums & devs run on different motors, but for some reason, my black dev unit was perfect (manually turn it by hand no problems, no obvious over-toning), but the black drum was clearly damaged & locked up by the flipped blade. New drum unit tested perfectly.

I'm not saying that this will be the fix for your machine..... but check it out. The code is definitely not common thats for sure.

Otherwise, as the guys have already said, check the dev unit is OK. Is there any unusual noise coming from the main drive unit? Check the dev motor. Even though it boots up OK, the dev motor might still be down. The dev sensor is saying the toner density is OK during startup, but the code appears as soon as it is used. That explains why it boots up OK.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    thanks for everyone input, i got the copier in the shop so i will take a closer look at it. heya wazza i was hoping, you would see this post, thanks to everyone again, i'll let you guys know the out come.

developing motor trouble (black)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    guys where should i start to get this problem fixed, i had another tech take a look at it, and he said that the machine also came up with the error code L4-06, he checked through the machine and got it to make some copies without the code L4-04, i checked the machine again myself and it started to make copies indeed, and then BAM! error L4-04 in the middle off a copy run, paper jam,should i start by changing the BLACK DEV motor?need help urgently on this one, as it got me stumped.thanks in advance.

OMD-227
    If you are sure the black dev motor is actually rotating in 25-01, and the black drum is OK, check the process drive harness going to the PCU board.
    CN11 on the PCU board - pins 1,3,5,7,9 are for the black dev motor control. Possibility of plug not fully connected or bent pin causing loss of signal of motor rotation. Reseat the CN11 plug and retest.
    Make sure the black dev unit actually rotates by hand (it will be slightly tight anyway, but not impossible). Check the small drive belt on the dev unit gear assembly is intact. I've had a few of those break (but usually around the 500K mark..... who knows).
    Reflash the firmware. If all of that fails, I'd first replace the black dev motor (as its return signal might be bad), then PCU board, lastly the dev unit.