Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician 250+ Posts

Question Win 7 driver work around?????

We have several customers buying new computers with Windows 7 (64-bit). When there aren't Win 7 drivers, have any of you had any luck using XP Mode and XP 64-bit drivers?

I do not have access locally to a 64-bit machine, the customers in question are located far away, and (what a surprise) their IT department says it is an issue for Sharp to fix.

Other work around?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ducttape n Glue's Avatar
    How is it Sharps to fix? They are the ones who changed the status quo, not Sharp. Isn't it funny how that works. Sorry I personally have no answer, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Win 7 driver work around?????

I'm assuming the machine we are talking about is an older discontinued model. If the manufacturer has no plans on releasing Win7 drivers then your customer (and their brilliant IT Department) has 2 options. Install a supported OS on their new computers OR buy new MFPs that have support the new OS.

And of course there is a 3rd option, you can try using an HP5si driver and you might get basic printing functionality.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Dustin(WOP)'s Avatar
    What series on machine are you trying to install on??

Technician 250+ Posts
    The systems are AR-BC320 and 260. I know they are old. Just looking to see if anyone has tried the XP Mode with success. I agree, the IT department could spend a couple minutes trying it - but it is a govt contract, IT is located who knows where, and I like to go at least one extra mile. Push comes to shove, I may be making a trip there in a week or so and I can try it myself. Will post back the results.

Technician 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducttape n Glue View Post
    How is it Sharps to fix? They are the ones who changed the status quo, not Sharp. Isn't it funny how that works. Sorry I personally have no answer, but this is a pet peeve of mine.
    It pains me to agree with you (because I am actually a 30+ years IT guy trying something different). Things started getting bad a number of years ago when MIS service departments changed their name to IT. But, there is.
    Last edited by costd; 08-27-2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: spelling was never my strong point

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Jules Winfield's Avatar
    If Vista drivers are available for the particular model they will usually work in Windows 7.
    But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Win 7 driver work around?????

Vista 64 drivers will work, just went through this two days ago.

copydude
    another way to work around is what I did for my KM C5500 while I was beta testing win7 was to create a virtual drive with whatever version windows you need, then using pdf format for easier sharing just share to the virtual drive or drag and drop and print from that.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    HP LaserJet 4 driver will work fine as well. Or you can use the HP5si as mentioned above. Ya won't be able to duplex or staple or anything, but it will print.

I've been warning my customers with old boxes about upgrading to Win 7. Some get it, some don't.
    Color is not 4 times harder... it's 65,000 times harder. They call it "TECH MODE" for a reason. I have manual's and firmware for ya, course... you are going to have to earn it.