Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    Fiery troubles on a MX5500N

Fiery password was changed by customer and was forgotten. I tried loading System Software (Version 2.03) with no help; tried loading original System Software (version 2.0) with no help. I am unable to locate server with Command WorkStation, nor can I find it on the network. I don't have an IP address and I don't know if it picks up one from the DHCP server. When I check the network settings of the copier after doing a NIC reset, the IP address is 66.0.0.24. I wish I could use the password.ps retrieval tool, but I can't see it (the server) to download the file.
    Sorry for the long narrative, but is there a reset to defaults that will reset the password to Fiery.1?
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

OMD-227
    The only way to restore the admin password on a fiery is to reinstall the system software. I know you have done this already, so I'm not sure why it hasn't worked, especially if you get the fiery to fully boot up.

Your machine has the PEX2.
    The PEX1 fiery can have a CMOS reset (which I've done in the past), but I cant remember if it reset the admin password or not. I've never seen a case where the Fiery.1 was actually changed.
    I dont have a PEX2 infront of me right now, but have a look and see if you can remove the CMOS battery. Once thats done, change the CMOS jumper over to pins 2&3. Wait 1 full minute, then put jumper back onto pins 1&2. reinstall the battery & restart. All date/time and settings will be gone, so they will need a reset too once booted up.
    This might work. I dont know for sure. I havent had Fiery.1 ever changed on me before, as I'm the tech who looks after machines with a fiery on them.

If this doesnt work, or you're not comfortable performing a full CMOS/motherboard reset, then a system reload is the only other way.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Are you able to print a Fiery config page? If you can, it will show the IP address.

>>>If you can't, there is one way that I know of to find it. Install Wireshark on your PC, and connect with a crossover cable. (It doesn't matter what the IP address on your PC), and power cycle the Fiery. You will see its IP address on numerous packets during start up.)<<<

If you have the password retrieval file (it sounds like you do), you can send it via a command prompt.

From a command prompt, type: "lpr -S <ip address of Fiery> -P direct c:\password.ps -o 1".

The "S" and "P" are case sensitive, "direct" is case sensitive, as well as the lower case "o". (The "-o 1" sets binary mode.)

BTW... You can download CWS 5 from EFI at no cost. Some printer vendors will also allow you to download CWS 4 from their sites. (I know that Ricoh has it.)
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

OMD-227
    Yeah Sharp's secure tech site has CWS 5 available, but she's a big file!

Nice advice KenB. Will take that info onboard myself.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Yeah Sharp's secure tech site has CWS 5 available, but she's a big file!

Nice advice KenB. Will take that info onboard myself.
    Thanks.

You're right about that - just under 400Mb.

Version 4.x is about 100Mb smaller, for whatever that may be worth.

I remember version 1.0, back around 1997. It took all of 3 floppies. (For that matter. the old DOS based "i" series Fieries were on 3 floppies, as well.)

You might say that times have changed a smidge.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

OMD-227
    ...... or you're just showing your age brother!

...... or you're just showing your age brother!
    Yup, that too!

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for my nap.

Zzzzzzzzzz....

OMD-227
    Yeah, its late there. Go get your beauty sleep.....

Its lunch-time here on Thursday. We are way ahead of you brother!

The only way to restore the admin password on a fiery is to reinstall the system software. I know you have done this already, so I'm not sure why it hasn't worked, especially if you get the fiery to fully boot up.

Your machine has the PEX2.
    The PEX1 fiery can have a CMOS reset (which I've done in the past), but I cant remember if it reset the admin password or not. I've never seen a case where the Fiery.1 was actually changed.
    I dont have a PEX2 infront of me right now, but have a look and see if you can remove the CMOS battery. Once thats done, change the CMOS jumper over to pins 2&3. Wait 1 full minute, then put jumper back onto pins 1&2. reinstall the battery & restart. All date/time and settings will be gone, so they will need a reset too once booted up.
    This might work. I dont know for sure. I havent had Fiery.1 ever changed on me before, as I'm the tech who looks after machines with a fiery on them.

If this doesnt work, or you're not comfortable performing a full CMOS/motherboard reset, then a system reload is the only other way.
    Thanks wazza, I did the CMOS reset, but I get the same result. The Fiery does go through it's POST and leds are at 00 when done. The copier sees the Fiery and prompts you to check power or connections if disconnected.
    KenB I'm not able to get any printouts because I'm not able to get pass the Fiery's password display. I'll certainly try the Wireshark trick and if that doesn't help, I'll try the command prompt.
    Thanks to you both, good advice.

I am almost too embarrassed to say, but it was a total Operator (me) error. When I pressed the Fiery icon on the MFP display, I was entering the Fiery password, which always failed. I didn't notice at first that it said Administrative password, and yes "admin" did work. When the Fiery screen came up with settings, that is when the Fiery.1 password worked. All is well now, except I must upgrade the System Software from v2.0 to v2.03.
    Thanks for your help, but there isn't any way to help a 'brain fart'.