Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    We noticed a change in colors from different sharp machines (MX-3501 to MX-2600.) We went into the printing preferences in the driver under the color tab and changed the image type to custom. Then click advanced color and enable CMYK Simulation and drag the Nuetral Gray slider all the way to color. This made a few of our customers happy with the output.

OMD-227
    Yes, that can help, but using full color on the neutral gray slider often makes the machine print b/w text using all 4 colors, producing a noticeable dark brown text instead of a true black. You can see all 4 colors when using a loupe. This mostly occurs on PDF's or Indesign documents.
    The 3500 series is 600dpi, the newer 2600 is 1200dpi with an even finer toner, so there are big differences in the machine output anyway.

Service Manager 100+ Posts glewisme's Avatar
    I don't see anything on here about the color definitions in SIM 63-11 what is it set to Def 1,2, or 3? Try setting it to color def 2 or 3 then recalibrate it and see where that gets you,as def1 shifts the color towards magenta.You MUST run the calibrations after changing 63-11 otherwise it won't register the new color definition.
    Last edited by glewisme; 09-27-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Go to Sharps INDC service website look up the calibration procedure in the service bullitens and print it out.If you don't feel comfortable w/that download the service manual onto a laptop and bring it with you.Like wazza said you need a jig part # UKOG-0318FCZZ,and run SIM 44-13.Let us know don't leave us hanging here.

Technician
    The office Management team came and calibrated it, but on fine setting when printing from Adobe software all the images have a faint pattern of vertical lines in them and look dirty. However, this problem disappears when the setting is set to "High Quality".

Office Management have spoken about something called a "Colour Monkey" that is a tool that allows us to create ICC profiles for our Adobe software for that printer. However the MX2600 has a 2MB download limit for color profiles, so we can't use it yet.

Thansk for the info on the jig part but right now I think I'll wait until and see what they come up with at Office Management.

OMD-227
    I already sent Jason the full calibration procedure (including jig & SIT chart use), when this post first started.

If you still have this client not happy with the color reproduction after running that entire calibration sheet, you never will. We have previously played around with ICC profiles for this series of machine, and even edited Fiery profiles on the PEX2 fiery's for the previous series, and all made very little difference to the color output on each particular machine.

Honestly, I think you are wasting your time. We have been there already. This machine is not suitable for what the client needs. Its a business color device, not a full pantone color matching press. If you run that calibration sheet I sent you and have not found a driver setting to give a satisfactory output afterwards, there is nothing else to try. Even if you get a color profile installed that works OK today, the machine will not keep that toner density over time anyway. Even changing process control timing will do little, apart from slowing the machine down.

Its a great machine (as are all the MX range), but you need to remember what the machine is designed to do. You camnot make it do something that it wasn't built for. You will get close, but never exactly right (especially with a very picky client.... like you seem to have).

Exactly,I agree 100%.The mx5001 here is now pantone certified,we don't have any customers requiring pantone matching here yet.We place our color MX's in copy centers and business color envirionments.Not in anal retentive print shops and such.I didn't realize you had sent him the full calibrationg guide.

Technician
    Well, at least I know that I've done what I can, and I know how to calibrate this machine myself now.

The client we had was a group of Artists who needed to produce a digital portfolio of their work. We have done this before, and last time we went to professional printer who use an Indigo digital press with proper ICC profiles. We have their ICC profiles installed. However, my boss and the proejct leader thought that it was an unnecessary cost to pay for printing like that, and that our new machine could print out good quality images. Despite my arguments I had to go along with them..

There were 9 artists in this project and in three weeks we printed out over 2000 test copies, purchased paper and so on. becasue of the time that went into the printer, we did not finish within the agreed three week period. Only 2/9 participants were entirely satisfied with the results, and 2 were entirely dissatisfied and have complained about us, so we had to take their work to the professional printers in the end pushing the costs over what it would have cost had we just done it professionally from the beginning.

Just out of interest, which machine would be able to do we wanted it to do, and how much more would it cost, relatively speaking?

Jason

Technician
    I don't know what to think. I enquired at Office Management, the provider of our MX2600, and they said there is no difference in the colour reproduction of the MX2600 and the MX5001. The difference, they say, is the increase speed and volume of the latter.

When I went to Sharps color school in April,they were in the process of getting the MX5001N pantone certified.I do believe it's done with the ColorMunki software.I haven't used that software yet personally but it's for this very type of print jobs. See the link. ColorMunki