Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

"Invalid JPEG marker" error for scanned images on AR-M155

Hello,

I am having a problem with scanned images on my Sharp AR-M155. When I scan something I need to be able to view it and possibly edit it in Photoshop. If I click on the image from my Sharpdesk (2.7) to open it in Windows Imaging & Fax I get "no preview is available" and when I try to drag&drop it into the application corner, where I've added Photoshop (CS3) and ABBYY FR, Photoshop returns an error:

"Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found."

Thus, I am unable to use the image I have acquired from the scanner. I can open it in ABBYY but that's only when I need it OCR'ed.

Is this fixable? Does it depend on the Sharpdesk version - I don't have a licence code for newer versions.

Thanks in advance!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar
    If you can find a version 3.0 (I think) it should update your current version without requiring a new license. I have had similar problems with scanned images and updating the Sharpdesk version fixed those issues, although I have not had your particular problem.

Good luck.

Bil

Technician
    I can't find version 3.0 - I've search for it before and searched now but the only thing I found was something called "Uninst30_Update_1.0.0.2.exe" from Sharp's Japan site. When I ran it, it appeared to make some progress, then an alert message popped up in Japanese. When I ran Sharpdesk afterwards it was still 2.7. I have got v.3.2. but it requires a licence code.

OMD-227
    I've actually been involved with this exact symptom on a workshop computer. It was nothing to do with the copier/scanner, the computer had somehow lost its JPEG association with what program to open it with.

Dont bother updating or changing your sharpdesk software. The problem is on your computer, within windows. It has lost its settings for which programs will open that particular file type (JPEG in this instance).

If you go into my computer, tools, folder options, file types, you will see all the file types you can open on your computer, along with the program used to open them. Change the settings back to what you want as a default.

Technician
    I don't think that's the case. The problem is not with JPEG files - all my different image files are set to open with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer and I can edit them in Photoshop, including TIF format.

There is a problem only with the TIF files that are produced by the scanner. I get the above error message when I try to open any of those. Interestingly, the TIF file samples that are included in Sharpdesk open normally.

The .TIF files produced by the scanner open normally in the built-in Sharpdesk Imaging program.

In the File Types menu there are two different entries - .TIF and .TIFF - the latter was associated with Photoshop but the former with Windows Picture & Fax... I changed that to Photoshop as well but nothing.

EDIT: Just installed IrfanView, added it to the list of programs in Sharpdesk (Output Zone) and when I drag and drop a scanned file in there, it opens error-free. So, it's a Photoshop (CS3) problem then...