Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MX4501N

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    MX4501N

MX4501N

Tech in the field asked me to post this. Prints in color or b/w are good; any scan through feeder or off glass with color comes out with blocks of color, no color or whacked out colors, but b/w is just fine. This is a used machine that went out as a demo so I know the firmware is up to date, and it was working good before the delivery ride to the customers. All connections to scan pwb and flash ROMs have been reseated, and the SIT chart numbers came out just fine for all colors. Any other tests that he could do before throwing pwbs into the machine?
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

OMD-227
    I've had the CCD in the scanner cause that before. B/W copy/scan was great, anything color through the scanner was way off the mark. Also had one before that would give a yellow background on any color copy/scan, which was the CCD too.

While I'm thinking about it, reseat or replace the 256Mb dimm on the MFP. A bad copy memory module could do this as well, as there is more data on a color copy. You could try and push the copy memory with a high volume B/W copy as well. If the memory module is bad or partially bad, you will eventually get scrambled data on the output print and/or trouble code E7-06 on those boxes.

Another test you could do, is test the CCD in the doc feeder. Print a color double sided page & copy that. If the back side is OK, but the front side is bad, you have one good & one bad CCD.

MX4501N

Since it is bad on second side (sorry, failed to mention that), I guessing we have a memory issue on the MFP board as pointed out and not two bad CCDs. Thanks, wazza for your prompt reply, I'll update after the fix (hopefully we won't loose this demo).

OMD-227
    This still is very much sounding like a bad CCD. If the problem is happening on the second side only, the CDD in the DSPF is most likely the problem.
    The DSPF units have their own memory board. Its the small board that sits ontop of the scanner board, only on the DSPF fitted machines. If the DSPF memory board was bad, you have straight lines, like a ruled notepad on the second side. That is a classic example of a memory board issue. I doubt this is memory on the MFP or the DSPF memory board from your examples of copy quality. I'm more thinking DSPF CCD unit now that I know its second side only.

MX4501N

Sorry, my explanation isn't clear; bad color copies when scanned from glass, or duplexed from feeder (both sides bad).

OMD-227
    Aahhh..... I can see clearly now.

yep, memory on MFP. I'm pretty sure of that. Very surprised if something else.

Any chance of attaching an image of a print & its color copy from the machine??

MX4501N

Yeah, sorry for the confusion; I'll see if the tech can bring in some samples to attach.

OMD-227
    Driving around, stuck in traffic..... been thinking more on this one.

One thing worth a mention..... Check/replace the Scan-In board if you still have the original version MFP. The newer version MFP has it built in, but I've seen weird things caused by the Scan-In board when they are installed by themselves.

Would be surprised if it was that, but worth a mention as the CCD harness goes to it.

MX4501N

To update the fix; the memory chips did not fix the problem. Tech then tried the HDD - all color scans were good. He returned the original HDD to clone destinations - all color scans were good. He reformatted HDD and machine has all original parts - all color scans still good. We are going to keep a close watch on this one.

MX4501N

Well, it's back; we replaced the original MX4501N that had the problems and it is in the shop for me to repair. The 256MB memory on the MFP pwb did not fix it. The Scan In pwb and the HDD was tried but they did not fix it either. I'm ordering the DSPF memory board. The attached file is from a copy of TC64-5 off the glass. Doc feeder in simplex or duplex gives the same results. At the customers office, the problem was intermittent, but at least now it is consistent. Attachment 7071