Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: u2-50 code

Service Manager 250+ Posts bonnie750's Avatar

u2-50 code

a colleague has been to a mxm503n which was 'copying slowly'. when tested against the watch it took 1m 50secs to copy 50 single-sided a4 pages.

he has updated the firmware to the latest and greatest and m/c now shows u2-50. it won't clear with sim 16. i attended the machine to help him out and disconnected the hdd and the same code displays and will not clear. i thought about formatting the hdd but the only sim listed in 62 is 10.there are no more sims listed when there should be 10.

i'm thinking that the firmware is corrupt though it loads without a hitch. we had to leave as they were all going home so i haven't had the chance to load an older version of the firmware.

i have seen machines copying /printing slowly when the hdd is a bit flaky but this is a variation on that theme i haven't come across.

your input is most welcome

Bill

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    u2-50 code

I'll qualify this by saying that I've dealt with similar issues on Kyocera products. Some of this may apply.

The printer can print only as fast as a complete page of data can be received. My customer was sending ledger sized technical drawings via a DOS based ancient application. The printer was rated at 80 ppm. They were printing at ~4.5 ppm.

There were a lot of complicating factors here so I'll try to break them out separately:
    1) ledger size prints count as two clicks. Double that speed.
    2) the network has very high traffic level. Lots of collisions.
    3) the DOS based application is the slowest possible way to send any print data. I took data captures and sent them various ways: via the printable data line in the Command Center, via IC Link utility, via LPR Jar utility, via Command Line. The Command Line was the slowest, by double.
    4) The print jobs were in PostScript. PostScript print jobs always take longer to spool than PCL6 print jobs.

To test the print speed more accurately hook up your laptop via crossover (remove the network from the equation). Print from the standard manufacturers driver for that specific model and operating system (not a generic driver, in-house written driver, HP4 driver, or anything else). Use a standard application like Adobe, Word, etc. Don't count the wake up time from sleep mode. Now what is your print speed? I'm betting it's a lot closer to the manufacturers rating.

My customer's stock answer to all my questions was " ... well, that's just the way we do it ... ", and thus the results.

With all that being said, U2-50 is a HDD checksum error indicating a bad hard drive. You may get lucky, and recover with a reformat. But I would not count on that changing your print speed. The DIMM memory would be more likely as a hardware-related cause of slow printing. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

OMD-227
    By any chance, does the machine in question have a fax unit or DSK installed?

Also, is the User Authentication activated on this machine?

hello wazza

no neither of those are installed and they haven't got round to setting up users yet. i've downloaded an older version of firmware, cannot think of anything else mate.

think i might have sussed what happened here. the zip file is named mx363n-m503n626.zip for the u version
    but the n version is mx363n-m503n440.zip. i reckon he's looked at the file name and assumed the first in the list was the n version. the machine must have u firmware (i hope) which may explain the problem.
    looking down the list of firmware files for download they are all named mx363n-m503n whether they are intended for the n or u version.

OMD-227
    You might be onto something there. A network version vs Non network version installed incorrectly could very well do that.

Have never seen incorrect firmware installed, as it usually gives error code or lockup during process, but definitely try correct firmware.

Here's our current version details......
    Attached Images Attached Images

i loaded the n version firmware and that fixed the u2 problem but the machine still runs at virtually half speed.i ran the m/c with the mx-fn10 and the mx-rbx3 removed and its still running slow. next stop the controller shop!

OMD-227
    Mate... This one is making me think too hard.

So this is a stand-alone machine, with no user control or vendor mode/swipecard/coin box activated. Just a stand-alone machine that 'copies' slow. Is this printing & copying speed affected, or just copying speed as your original post states?

There are known issues of machines going slower in vendor modes (with a few sim changes to fix this), and a older firmware upgrade to solve a slow printing issue with user authentication activated. If your machine is totally standalone, I agree with Blackcat on the laptop & crossover cable idea (which I have done previously to prove network faults) as this will rule out the machine or network at fault in your case. If copying is slow as well, the only thing that comes to mind is either memory fault or MFP board fault, accessing the memory too slowly, like an onboard processing issue.

hello Wazza

good one eh?

machine is 6 weeks old ,standalone copier with mx-rbx3 and mx-fn10.

sharp tech support have an identical machine which copies 50 a4 lef, no offset in 51 secs, this
    box takes 1min 55 to do the same.
    i've got a case number from them and on their suggestion i'm ordering a controller.

i double checked the machine spec in sims in case the wrong front door had been fitted,
    but no it is correct. hey ....any port in a storm!!!!!

bill

OMD-227
    Try a device clone, then run NVRAM clear.

If it makes no difference at least you can still reload the clone as everything will be reset.