Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field service tech. 100+ Posts Froota's Avatar

fault on staple cartridge mx-fn10

Hey guys,

I have a problem on a mx-3100 with a booklet finisher on it. (mx-fn10)
    Most earlier problems on those finishers we've managed to resolve, but not this one.
    If we choose for stapling with the edge binding staple unit, we get the message 'check for stapler fault or staple position', even without a cartridge in it.
    I changed the cartridge, and today also the whole unit, but still the same bloody thing.

The thing is, if i choose for saddle stapling, the message is gone and everything works fine, so i think it has really something to do with the upper staple unit, unless i'm wrong.
    A sensor and motor check didn't make it more clear.

anyone an idea? It would be nice!

Technician
    fault on staple cartridge mx-fn10

Did you perform check for phase deviation according to bulletin MFP-TB-307R? There is also a procedure for correction in this bulletin. This usually resolves my problems with either of the stapler units.

OMD-227
    Gotta agree there. The primary cause of this (and I see this alot), is a minor phase deviation (or sync) between the upper & lower staple units. The primary cause of this happening in the first place is either a sticky upper staple unit drive rail (the square one) or someone forcefully moving either staple unit by hand and the sync goes out because the drive belt slips.
    When the sync is out between the upper and lower staple units, the lower staple unit (saddle unit) cannot staple in the correct & exact position, causing a staple to become wedged & stuck in the staple unit. This causes the exact error message you are getting 'Check stapler fault or staple position'.
    There are 2 very quick fixes for this...... but first you need to remove the jammed staple in the lower unit by following the prompts in the inside door cover. You know it is ready when the machine feeds an A3 sheet through and primes the staple cartridge, eventually stapling the paper. This indicates the lower staple unit is ready.
    Once that is done, you need to confirm phase deviation is OK. This is done by checking the upper staple unit as shown in the pictures attached. If the phase deviation/sync is out, you can either follow the bulletin on this issue or the quicker way is to pull the staple unit to the front, loosen the belt holding plate (single screw), then move both carriages to the front, approx 1mm away from the end metal brackets. Once this is done, retighten the belt holding plate. This is the shortcut of correcting phase deviation instead of dismantling the drive assembly and repositioning gears. Trust me, it works.... do it all the time.
    Then the square drive rail for the upper staple unit must be thoroughly cleaned & relubricated. You will most likely find the rail is coated in a black sticky lubrication. This is bad. It must be very clean & lubricated with a very fine silicon oil. There is a part number being introduced next month for this. I am using samples of it so far, but you could get away with any very fine silicon oil in the meantime. That square drive rail must be thoroughly cleaned & completely lubricated. Once that is done, you can reassemble and run simulation 3 load testing 'FSSM' which will drive the staple units back/forth along the rail confirming that it is moving freely and no longer binding/sticking on the rail.
    Once you have confirmed that is OK, I have always been able to successfully run 50 sets of staple & booklet jobs for the client as a test. The issue has never returned on each machine I have done this procedure to.
    Also confirm the finisher firmware is 01.05.02 as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts gwaddle's Avatar
    I'm so glad I checked the forum this morning before I went on calls. I was going to one with this exact problem, only I had no real idea what to do with it when I got there. Thanks to you guys I believe it is now fixed.

OMD-227
    Thats great! Glad my babble made some sense then!

If you've got FN10's in the field, you'll need to do this again. Keep an eye out for the new lubrication part number next month. Thats the ''better/permanent'' fix........ we'll see huh.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    you can reassemble and run simulation 3 load testing 'FSSM' which will drive the staple units back/forth along the rail confirming that it is moving freely and no longer binding/sticking on the rail.
    Once you have confirmed that is OK, I have always been able to successfully run 50 sets of staple & booklet jobs for the client as a test. The issue has never returned on each machine I have done this procedure to.
    Also confirm the finisher firmware is 01.05.02 as well.
    Hey,

I will check the 'fssm' and also the firmware, but still i have my doubts in a solution.
    The first thing i checked was the phase deviation, but there wasn't any. The upper staple unit also moves very smoothly and always the same. Like i explained in my thread there is no problem with the booklet function or saddle stapler, so if it should be phase deviation, this should give problems otherwise if i use this function.

I also explained that the problem didn't disappeared after replacing the whole upper staple unit. And after installation i also had to sync both staple units for deviation like intended in the procedure.

Does anyone have the partnumber of the assembly where the finisher stapling cartridge fits into? (mx-scx1)
    Maybe i'm searching it too far......

OMD-227
    MXFN10:
    Staple Cartridge: 0JPCRT590N-S/
    Staple Unit: 0CW4158K115//
    Saddle Staple Cartridge: N/A
    Saddle Staple Unit: 0CW4158K142C/

The FSSM sim I mentioned is the motor which drives the staple units front/rear. This just confirms if everything is running smooth after clean/lubrication of the rail.

I mentioned all the above information, because each time we have seen this symptom & message, its always been associated with the sync of the staple units. That is how to fix the sync/phase deviation.

If you are certain that this message only occurs due to a possible fault on the upper staple unit, I have provided the part numbers above. It would be a first for me on these FN10's, but it is possible that the upper staple unit is not detecting the staple cartridge unit.... therefore giving the message. Keep us posted on your progress please Froota.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Keep us posted on your progress please Froota.
    I will! I hope i can find a solution next week...

Problem solved

Here's a little feedback about the problem above.

I went today to the customer site to check again everything and the issue is resolved.
    First i checked again most sensors and motors, but everything looked fine.
    Then i saw that the end of the lever that activates the safety switch on the back of the machine was broken off. (micro switch)
    For that reason the finisher could not terminating his initialization and so the stapler was always turning back to the front because he refused to load staples.

After replacing the lever, the edge binding staple unit loaded the staples and the finisher made his way further to initialize. (partnumber lever: 0CW4158P916)

I tried to make some stapled bundels, and everything went fine except the stapling....there was nothing stapled.
    The contact between the lever and the microswitch was not optimal, so i made some modification to the spring on it and now everthing is working fine again!!
    I just wanted to give the above information, because it could be usefull to know that if there is a problem with the upper stapler unit, it could have something to do with the switch.

Thanks a lot guys for the help. I hope you can use my feedback too!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

OMD-227
    Nice fix Froota! Well done.

Will look out for this in the future. There are no bulletins on that particular problem here. Thanks alot!!