Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MX-FNX1 Stapling Issue

MX-FNX1 Stapling Issue

Got a MX-FNX1 Finisher - works fine until I try to Staple. The Paper Set gets to the Coupler and then throws a F1-20 Error Code.

Swapped out PWB board figuring the have had issues in the past - not the the board.

Cleaned off sensors thinking that might resolve the stall - not.

Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks -

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    MX-FNX1 Stapling Issue

Do a search for that code and F1-19, there are a lot of posts on this problem (stapler harness and firmware version).
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MX-FNX1 Stapling Issue

Firmware was updated - But the thought of the Harns being an issue crossed my mind - thanks for the reply.

OMD-227
    Yes, F1-19 & F1-20 are associated with the sensor on the stapling unit. I have had a faulty sensor, a sluggish sensor arm and a fallen spring cause this as the staple unit positions itself along the rail.

Its all to do with these items...... Part Guide section 6, items 13, 22, 25.

The sensor is activated by the 3 points along the rail. The 3 contact points activate the sensor arm around the back of the staple unit. If either the sensor is dead, the spring has fallen off, or the sensor arm is sluggish to return, you'll either get F1-19 or F1-20 for front & rear staple position.

Its quite common nowadays on high use/high staple volume machines.

Each time I've seen it, it was NOT a harness issue. A harness problem will give F1-10 or a dead staple unit.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MX-FNX1 Stapling Issue

Do you normally change all three - Sensor Lever, Sensor, and Spring?

FYI

Update: I took the Finisher off the unit - Cleaned and blew out the Stapling Unit. Thought that because it was full of dust that this might assist in getting things going - No.

When I went to put the F-Unit in again, I spotted a Black piece of plastic on the rug. Picked it up and tried to see where it might have come from - Had to be black.

Pulled the Staples and happened to look inside the cavity where the Staples seat - This is where the plastic piece belonged. It had some how broken off - whoever had the Finisher before me - bought it wholesale, never figured out what was wrong with it and left it................for me to figureout.

Answer to the Mystery? Gotta change out the Stapling Unit itself.

Thanks for everyone's input - if I can say it without being Politically Incorrect - Merry Christmas, One & All!!! Ho, Ho, Ho!!!
    Last edited by Tech2002; 12-23-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    MX-FNX1 Stapling Issue

"Each time I've seen it, it was NOT a harness issue. A harness problem will give F1-10 or a dead staple unit."
    My CRS had kicked in - when I did replace harness, it was an F1-10.

Pulled the Staples and happened to look inside the cavity where the Staples seat - This is where the plastic piece belonged. It had some how broken off
    I had the exact same problem/ fix on the same machine that was giving the F1-10.

Cheers everyone...

I going to have to figure out how to do the " reply with multi quote".
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

OMD-227
    Any chance you can attach a pic of the 'broken piece' or a listing of the parts number that it is part of?

Very, Very curious about this now. I've never had any broken piece in any FNX1 cause that.... it was always either of the parts listed above.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MX-FNX1 Stapling Issue

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Any chance you can attach a pic of the 'broken piece' or a listing of the parts number that it is part of?

Very, Very curious about this now. I've never had any broken piece in any FNX1 cause that.... it was always either of the parts listed above.
    Try this so you'll know what I am referring to - Open the Finishers Staple Door. Pull out the Staple Holder, then feel inside on the walls where in the cavity where the Staples slide into. On either side there are levers - spring loaded - you can slide them and they return back into place.

When I get to the office tomorrow, I'll try to get some pics of what I am trying to explain here. I'll try to get them on the site here or I'll email them to you.

It was a stroke of luck to have seen this piece on the floor, and it was even a bigger stroke of luck to have figured out where it came from or belonged. Being black it was like trying to work on an HP Printer when you have a Black piece of plastic and trying to find where it goes, because everything on an HP, less the covers, is Black.

As always - I appreciate your assists.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MX-FNX1 Stapling Issue

The attached Pics should show you what I was referring to - The Pic On the Top shows the Arm missing , the one on the Bottom Shows the Stapling Arm . These Arms are what sends the Staple into the Paper.

I sent the Staple PWB out to, Hytec, a board repair company in Florida figuring it was the board. Sent to them over Sharp. It cost me Two-Day UPS Air Down (from Connecticut) and Two-Day UPS Air Back to me, plus, they were kind enough to update the Firmware they said was out dated - for only $192.00. I didn't know this about the Firmware until I called them back after receiving the Board and installing it to find out the Stapling Unit still didn't work - I asked them what they did to the Board? I was expecting they'd say that they found a bad connection and they repaired it. No, they updated the Firmware and charged me $192.00.

I felt like I was raped, and let them know this. They told me that updating the Firmware was apart of the repair and that the charge was legitimate. Only in America - but not in my book.

Live and learn - It appears that I'm in the wrong end of the business.

The Staple Unit goes for about $450.00, anyone have one for cheap?
    Attached Images Attached Images

OMD-227
    How come you didnt know about the finisher firmware upgrade? This was updated years ago, and if you had updated the entire engine & option firmware in 49-01, then the finisher would be current years ago too.
    Do you only select the engine PCU/ICU etc etc and not select any option, or not upgrade the firmware at all?
    Ever since the new FNX1 firmware was released years ago, we've never had another problem with the board or harness (which is the primary reason for the upgrade).

You did get ripped off big time for sending a board away only for it to be flashed.

If you can track down another FNX1 somewhere, maybe broken or at a market, you'll be able to make the part up.