Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 100+ Posts linuxxpwin's Avatar
    I agree with Lawrence photocopiers are also known as inductors and draws power which would definitely kill the UPS, as a matter a interest no laser products should be plug in to a UPS, as recommended by Lawrence use line filters or something of that sort, in my case the customer decided that for a machine that was purchased for 10 grand, getting a voltage stabilizer was worth it.

I wonder have anyone ever had an electrician to make you have clean power? If all cable are grounded properly.

Technician 250+ Posts
    Actually they do make UPS systems that can handle much more than an MFP - but very expensive. There is such a thing as clean power but it requires voltage regulation and filters - again very expensive. I have not priced things for a number of years, but I suspect a voltage regulator could handle a short term drop at a much lower price than a UPS (guys, I am talking about a real UPS NOT your small Belkin computer type).

If it were me, I would first use my meter to verify the outlet is providing the proper voltage for the MFP, then ask their electrician to verify if the MFP is on a dedicated 15 amp circuit (outlet and circuit are not the same). I suspect it isn't so the next step is to have the electrician connect a power monitoring device (recorder) and see if the voltage ever drops below the MFP requirement. If it does, then they can either disconnect the other devices/equipment on the same circuit, install a new dedicated circuit, or get use to resetting the codes.

I feel compelled to point out that power is only a possible issue and troubleshooting long distance is "iffy" at best.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Trouble Code "H4-04" on Sharp DX-C311

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Copiers draw more power than a UPS can provide so i would not do that.

We use ESP power filters ESP USA > Digital QC™ Power Filter but these cannot correct for sags in the power but protect against line noise and surges.

My copier out in the boonies is on one of these filters and it still happens every now and again. When your getting weird issues and you think it's power related check the plug. Put your meter on AC and measure from Hot to Ground, Hot to Neutral, Neutral to Ground. Hot to Ground and Neutral should be 115-120 volts. Neutral to Ground should be very close if not 0 volts. Some times i have seen .5 volts. No big deal. We had a copier and the Neutral to Ground was around 30 or 40 volts and the power filter would simply kick out and not run after a hour or so.
    Yeah, those are the same type ESP's that we use and have at this customer location.

I tested the AC and it all checked out within normal ranges. It is an old building with a lot of stuff likely on the same circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by costd View Post
    Actually they do make UPS systems that can handle much more than an MFP - but very expensive. There is such a thing as clean power but it requires voltage regulation and filters - again very expensive. I have not priced things for a number of years, but I suspect a voltage regulator could handle a short term drop at a much lower price than a UPS (guys, I am talking about a real UPS NOT your small Belkin computer type).

If it were me, I would first use my meter to verify the outlet is providing the proper voltage for the MFP, then ask their electrician to verify if the MFP is on a dedicated 15 amp circuit (outlet and circuit are not the same). I suspect it isn't so the next step is to have the electrician connect a power monitoring device (recorder) and see if the voltage ever drops below the MFP requirement. If it does, then they can either disconnect the other devices/equipment on the same circuit, install a new dedicated circuit, or get use to resetting the codes.

I feel compelled to point out that power is only a possible issue and troubleshooting long distance is "iffy" at best.
    I understand the limitations of long distance technical assistance and I have my contacts working through the normal procedures as well (Sharp Tech Support), however Sharp was closed yesterday and this was one of my only alternatives at the time (and often Sharp is not of much assistance either, so I come here for browsing for help).

We don't really have a relationship with any electricians that we have do this kind of thing regularly. It is very rare that we have an issue with power, and the one time that I know of we mentioned putting in a dedicated line and the customer said sure and did it, but this customer does not seem like one that would JUMP at the opportunity to spend more money. Hopefully I am wrong.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

***UPDATE***

I removed the unit from the customer location and brought it back to our office. We get the same code (H4-04) here in the office as well.

OMD-227
    Is this the MXC31FU or 32FU that you're having problems with?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have used 2 different fusers in the unit, but to be honest, I have not checked the "version" of either. I can find out tomorrow

OMD-227
    Definitely put in a 32FU. All the mods are done with this unit. A quick visual inspection will show much larger roller bearings on the 32FU. Thats the good one!!

While I agree with all the previous answers, I have found over the last 25 yrs that sharp's are prone to this problem in wintertime, especially when they are located in basements or "on site work trailers". with their backs to the exterior wall. I'd suggest you try lowering the initial ready hot roller temp by jst a few degrees while ensuring you still have optimum "fusing" i've always used the "ol thumbnail scratch" to test this with. Do NOT change yr temps for "other media types". just your warm up 20# bond stylie. I have assumed that all your fusing components are in good working order making this suggestion. Good Luck with it!!! Kiss It!!!
    IT IS BETTER TO REMAIN QUIET AND BE THOUGHT A FOOL
    THAN TO SPEAK AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Definitely put in a 32FU. All the mods are done with this unit. A quick visual inspection will show much larger roller bearings on the 32FU. Thats the good one!!
    Good tip.

I did just do some work to the pressure release area on a fuser for a diff 311.... so, I know where you are coming from with some of the MANY chnages

Quote Originally Posted by jprecht View Post
    While I agree with all the previous answers, I have found over the last 25 yrs that sharp's are prone to this problem in wintertime, especially when they are located in basements or "on site work trailers". with their backs to the exterior wall. I'd suggest you try lowering the initial ready hot roller temp by jst a few degrees while ensuring you still have optimum "fusing" i've always used the "ol thumbnail scratch" to test this with. Do NOT change yr temps for "other media types". just your warm up 20# bond stylie. I have assumed that all your fusing components are in good working order making this suggestion. Good Luck with it!!! Kiss It!!!
    I thought about trying this, but changing those temps SCARE ME!!! haha

There are SO many to pick from

I n I, you brought the fuser back to the shop and it gives the same "low temp" code.??? Obviously there is an "issue " with "that" unit. My apologies 4 previous post. is obvious you have an incompatibility issue with that"style" fuser and current firmware. I apologize 4 minimizing a possible solution, I have been a "field tech" 4 25 yrs but still find that starting with the basics, allows you 2 construct your pyramid on a SOLID BASE. I stand by my claim that Sharp copiers are "prone" to this ":low temp" code much more often than other boxes. We don't get THAT cold here in Austin, Tx., and I have seen this h-4 CODE ON ALMOST EVERYTHING SHARP HAS MADE IN THE LAST 15+ YR'S. on a regular "callback" basis.
    IT IS BETTER TO REMAIN QUIET AND BE THOUGHT A FOOL
    THAN TO SPEAK AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT