Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Trouble Code "H4-04" on Sharp DX-C311

I have been out to this machine on a number of times and the Trouble Code is fairly easy to clear (either via sim14, or sometimes it will just clear itself from a power cycle).

After the first time or 2 (months apart) I chalked it up to just a random occurrence, but the 3rd time in a couple days and I started to dig a little deeper. The H4-04 shows as "Fusing section low temperature trouble (TH_EX)", so I went for a "sure thing fix" and just swapped them out with a known working and NO ISSUES fuser from a machine in our office.

I thought all was good until I got a call on my Christmas vacation and found that they called again with the same error. I did a quick search online (I am that kind of guy to help out my other techs even though I was off) and found that several bulletins address this H4-04 code and the firmware says "this error is fixed....etc). So, I armed the other tech with this info and he went off to do the work.

This tech isn't trained on many of the Sharp models, but he knows quite a bit and is a typical technician that knows how to troubleshoot, use the manuals and ask questions.... etc.

However he did not do several things I would have liked so now I am kind of stuck looking for some answers for if/when I go onsite here soon and have similiar results.

So, to try and make a long story a little less long...... I am not sure what firmware version they had, I am not 100% sure what firmware versions that the tech was able to put on successfully, and I don't know much else. I am headed to the site in a few minutes and will attempt to put on what I believe to be the latest firmware.

So, I guess my question is..... has anyone else seen/heard of this? The only other piece of info I am curious about is they are in an older building, in a basement, and it is cold here in Ohio.... so, they are sometimes running a space heater right next to the machine. I haven't ever run into a space heater scenario and not sure that it would cause any kind of "interference" with the fuser heating up or not... I doubt it, but wanted to mention it.

Sorry my question/problem is so long.... hopefully a few of you have the patience to read though it all and offer some advice!

THANKS

Technician 250+ Posts
    Yes you should update the firmware to the latest version. Your milage may vary but there have been a couple times in my short career where low temps were caused by the MFP being on the same circuit as several other power hogs (heaters, coffee pots, shreaders etc). It is possible (with my limited experience) that the MFP was starting to warm up out of energy save at the same time the heater was on - resulting in a voltage drop and then the fuser not heating up quick enough.

Again your milage may vary but each time I made them move the power hog to another circuit - problem went away.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by costd View Post
    Yes you should update the firmware to the latest version. Your milage may vary but there have been a couple times in my short career where low temps were caused by the MFP being on the same circuit as several other power hogs (heaters, coffee pots, shreaders etc). It is possible (with my limited experience) that the MFP was starting to warm up out of energy save at the same time the heater was on - resulting in a voltage drop and then the fuser not heating up quick enough.

Again your milage may vary but each time I made them move the power hog to another circuit - problem went away.
    This definitely crossed my mind, and right off hand I am not certain, but I believe we put an ESP with this machine.... not that it would be a cure all for power issues, but we usually see pretty good results.

Thanks for the fast response. I will also verify what all is around and if I can find a better location...etc

Technician 250+ Posts
    ESP does nothing for low voltage. Would need a UPS or possibly voltage regulator devices.

Technician
    Check the bushings from the upper heat roller. It gives some modifications in
    this fuser unit. New part number from the fuser unit is MX-C32FU.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by costd View Post
    ESP does nothing for low voltage. Would need a UPS or possibly voltage regulator devices.
    So, low voltage could be the cause for this? I apologize in advance but the ELECTRICAL side is by FAR my biggest weakness with MFP repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bani View Post
    Check the bushings from the upper heat roller. It gives some modifications in
    this fuser unit. New part number from the fuser unit is MX-C32FU.
    I have gone through a BUNCH of the Service Bulletins and I have seen all the upper and lower heat roller mods...etc, as well as firmware updates to the H4-04 code, AND some plastic that is breaking in the pressure release area. The reason I am thinking it is not in the fuser area, is that I swapped out the whole fuser with a known working one. I guess it still could be something like that, but seems unlikely.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I have a MXB401 (same engine and fuser) that some times cracks that code. Customer is out in the middle of no where on a native reserve. Ground to neutral is about 15 volts and the copier shares the same circuit as the lights and the computers. I would also guess power related issues.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    I have a MXB401 (same engine and fuser) that some times cracks that code. Customer is out in the middle of no where on a native reserve. Ground to neutral is about 15 volts and the copier shares the same circuit as the lights and the computers. I would also guess power related issues.
    Oh really!!??? See that is what I love about this site... real world issues shared from the guys out doing the dirty work.

Ok, so I am going to kind of show my ignorance about electricity here, but what can I do if that is the case? Would a UPS likely do the trick?

Service Manager 100+ Posts linuxxpwin's Avatar
    Reading this brings back a situation I had with a different machine with similar issues, I had a Xerox giving me all types of errors and was baffled by this I then proceeded to something drastic and added a voltage regulator and voila it corrected the problem.

Further checks determine that there was a voltage problem at source.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RascalMJ View Post
    Oh really!!??? See that is what I love about this site... real world issues shared from the guys out doing the dirty work.

Ok, so I am going to kind of show my ignorance about electricity here, but what can I do if that is the case? Would a UPS likely do the trick?
    Copiers draw more power than a UPS can provide so i would not do that.

We use ESP power filters ESP USA > Digital QC™ Power Filter but these cannot correct for sags in the power but protect against line noise and surges.

My copier out in the boonies is on one of these filters and it still happens every now and again. When your getting weird issues and you think it's power related check the plug. Put your meter on AC and measure from Hot to Ground, Hot to Neutral, Neutral to Ground. Hot to Ground and Neutral should be 115-120 volts. Neutral to Ground should be very close if not 0 volts. Some times i have seen .5 volts. No big deal. We had a copier and the Neutral to Ground was around 30 or 40 volts and the power filter would simply kick out and not run after a hour or so.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...