Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    OldTech19

Installing AR-FX7 on MX-M260

First Let me give you a little background on the problem I am Having.
    am using my Laptop with windows Vista Operating System on it, and a USB to Serial adapter. I Know the Adaptor is working because I have used it with other Things.
    So first thing when I put the AR-FX7 on the MX-M260 I got an error of F6-96 Fax firmwear does not match. So I talked to Sharp Hot line and they said I have to upgrade the copier and fax firmwear.So I downloaded thge latest firmwear. Then I follow the upgrade proseedure in the service manual. I hook up the serial cable and openthe maintenance program and select the copier, thye turn on the copier the tree in the maintenance does not expand and down at the bottom of the window it says copier not turned.
    I has checked that all the com port settings are proper, and they are.
    I Have even gone and bought a new serial cable that is supposed to be bidirectional, and tried that and still get the same thing.
    Has anyoneelse had this problem and what did you do o fix it.===Ken

Service Manager 250+ Posts Silvertoast's Avatar
    what we have had to do with problems with error codes when tryin to install the fax on a newer series machine is,, install the fx7 in a arm237-277 then update the firmware on the fax with it installed on that machine, then install the fax option on the newer machine.
    we do this when the fax is intalled in a new machine and u get errrors as soon as its turned on.
    hope this helps

OMD-227
    Firmware upgrading with a different series machine is a little dangerous. You are installing a version which has been designed to work with another model, and be fully compatible with that series of machine. The ARM237-277 series has a completely different fax firmware version than the MXM260-310.
    But.... if it works for you, then go for it. I wouldn't recommend it though. You certainly are a rebel Silvertoast.

Make sure you're using the Maintenance tool v4.22 or higher. It also will help if you set the com port within windows device manager to 38400bps first.
    If the maintenance program doesnt show either the correct model of the machine, or it doesnt show the full drop-down menu eg 'special (copier)' then you either have the wrong maintenance program or null-modem cable.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

When these first came out the fax kits didn't have a high enough version of firmware and you could not upgrade the firmware using the MXM260. We had to use a 237 as well if i remember. It was kind of retarded but some times such is Sharp :P
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    ......or null-modem cable.
    This is most likely the problem; it must be a null (crossover) serial cable.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --