Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

ARM550 copy quality issues.

Got another one for you guys...
    ARM550u that prints internally and looks GREAT. Not a thing wrong with the prints whether you run single sided or duplex. When you run a copy off of the glass the copy comes out OK. The copy is a little wavy but as you will see it is much worse when running from the ADF.
    When running copies from the ADF the first side, when running it 1-1 or 2-2 comes out very wavy. I have changed the scan pwb but it looks as if it could be something wrong with the scanner itself. Could the scanner rails/wire be loose? I've never had to mess with any of that so not sure how much tension there should be. I should also mention that this machine is in a beef packing plant and the ground is somewhat shaking form all the machinery running. I don't think it enough to shake the scanner though.
    When running copies 2-2 the second side does NOT come out wavy so I believe that rules out paper movement as the cause. It does leave light copies though. I adjusted the exposure to compensate but it is still lighter than the second side. If I adjust it any more then it picks up the image from the other side of the paper and leaves a dark background.
    I attached some scans from the machine but it won't let me put them in any order. Hopefully i labeled them well enough for you guys to see what I am talking about. If you've got any input i would appreciate it!
    Brooks

b.crandall@officesolutionsinc.biz_20110216_170330.pdf Test print 70 printed in duplex and then copied. Notice the waves on page 5 (1st side) and light spots on page 6 (2nd side)
    b.crandall@officesolutionsinc.biz_20110216_170224.pdf Copy off og glass 1-1
    b.crandall@officesolutionsinc.biz_20110216_170157.pdf Before adjustments, data print showing copies on side 1 and side 2. Again, page 2 is 1st side, page 3 is 2nd side.
    b.crandall@officesolutionsinc.biz_20110216_170428.pdf Data print before and after adjustments
    b.crandall@officesolutionsinc.biz_20110216_170504.pdf copy 2-2. Pages 1 and 2 are from the original. Page 3 is 1st side and 4 is 2nd side.
    b.crandall@officesolutionsinc.biz_20110216_170410.pdf Copy 1-1 through ADF

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

The wavey part is got to be your optics. It also makes sense why your 2nd side when using the DF is fine because the CIS is fixed in place and attached to the DF frame.

I would guess your getting vibration and the scanner is jittering. When using the DF the scanner does not move, it just looks straight up.

Take them your service manual and show the part that says do not place the machine were vibration will be present.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    That is exactly what I thought as well but i find it hard to believe that it vibrates the same every time. I don't think I mentioned this earlier but it is almost always in the exact same spot as well. You can really see it on the Bird test chart on the bottom border about an inch or two from the lead edge. That is almost always exactly in that spot.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdcrandall13 View Post
    That is exactly what I thought as well but i find it hard to believe that it vibrates the same every time. I don't think I mentioned this earlier but it is almost always in the exact same spot as well. You can really see it on the Bird test chart on the bottom border about an inch or two from the lead edge. That is almost always exactly in that spot.
    If it's happening in the same spot, clean and lightly lube the scanner rails; also check the wire cables for worn areas.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    But it is happening in the same spot using the ADF... When the scanner isn't moving at all. It would make sense if it was a cable or a scanner rail when using the platen, but not necessarily the ADF.

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdcrandall13 View Post
    But it is happening in the same spot using the ADF... When the scanner isn't moving at all. It would make sense if it was a cable or a scanner rail when using the platen, but not necessarily the ADF.
    Sorry, my mistake, I misread your OP.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar
    If using the ADF, the scanner does not move along the rails. The light comes on , the page rolls over the glass, but it is not moving. When I see "waves" it is usually slowing down through the ADF or the glass is damaged. Have you tried adjusting dpi or compression? You also mentioned printing then copying the printed original. Are you making a copy of a copy of a copy...etc.?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    If it was slowing down you would see it on the 2nd side as well. If it was on the glass chances are you would see it throughout the entire page more. I have not tired adjusting DPI or compression. Don't know exactly how to do that or haven't ever tried.
    I used both an original and printed original. No defects were on either page.

if possible could you supply examples of TC 71 Grid pattern then copied through df and glass
    just curious to see if there is a clear fault line through the page

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Next time I am out there I will try to print some out.