Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    samIam

Sharp Ar M208 pulling developer

Sharp Ar M208 black and/or faint twisted ribbon like lines or thin bands on both sides of copies

I have a sharp AR M208n. Pulls developer mostly on front side of copier. Had to replenish about half cup. The lines on both side of copies went away after this cleanup. Ran 50 copies and the lines are back. Original ran from glass.

Cleaned optics, charger; drum inspection: no aluminum showing--drum nearly new; Cleaned transfer roller assembly but did not replace or damage the charger roller.

Checked fuser unit: rollers are very newish.

Lines returned again to the same front side of copier. Suspect transfer roller and moist paper at first, but paper is decent and dry normal room environment. I did check the contact ends of the transfer roller--also the roller is even and uniform, turns easily.

Total copy count: 110,000.

Sam I Am

Technician
    I have seen this before. When it happened to me it was the thin strip of mylar on the dev unit right above the mag roller. It was tucked under the red felt on either end of the dev unit. This was causing the developer bead to bunch up at that spot and start dropping down in the machine. As far as the lines, if it is not from the developer then I would replace the cleaning blade and or drum. You should be able to run several sheets and crash the machine, open it and see if the image is on the drum. If it is you will know that it is not fuser related and most likely the cleaning blade on the drum has failed.

samIam

Developer spew

I did notice that the developer brush right under that area you spoke about was deformed and pock marked. But the deform has not reoccured since the cleaning.

Any ideas on how the lines get on the back side of copy and on the front side simultaneously?

Technician
    Pock Marked? Is the mylar deformed? As far as lines on both sides, If the fuser looks good, and you are not making 2 sided copies then I think maybe it's picking up some dev/toner that is still in the paper path. The maintenance schedule on these are 25k. I would replace dev assy. If that doesn't do it then replace drum also.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar
    Have also had the drum cause this when the small metal flange on the charge unit (the one in the middle) is not installed properly. It flexes the plastic of the drum unit and pulls the dv right out.

Good Luck.

Bil

samIam
    Bilyahn: Thank you, I'll check the charger flange that locks the center down. You could be right that it was unhooked at time of my first service call or could be coming unhooked for some reason after I thought it was hooked into place. This is a new customer so anything like that could be real.

Troy: Yeah, the developer brush was pocked but the dv shut sheet was back into place and okay after I cleaned the piles up. What is still weird is that the front and back lines on copy did not return until about 50 copies following clean up. I suspect the transfer roller assy but don't want to go there yet until confirmed because that unit is very spendy--selling the whole idea (drum, dev. unit, and chargers) to a new customer is quite a chore. Good thoughts; thank you.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

We just replaced a DV unit (AR-275) which had a problem with one of the side seals causing developer to scrape off the edge. Other known causes are: contaminated main charger, mylar intrusion above mag roller, leaking auger bushings (rare). Sounds like the transfer roller is getting contaminated with crap from the drum (backside lines), I'd bet on a main charge problem.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I'm, with toner boy. Primary charge or drum, regardless of the age or number of copies. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Do the lines on the front match up with the lines on the back? Do those lines correspond with a spot in the paper path such as the registration rollers? If the toner/dv is dumping and getting carried to the reg rollers, toner on the registration rollers could get on the back of the page.

Someone mentioned the fuser unit. Is the fuser roller free of toner buildup, including the lower pawls? A build up on the lower pawls will get on the back of the page, especially during runs long enough to heat up that dv that is stuck on the pawls.

When the lines came back, did the dv start getting knocked off again? The pock marked mag roller was probably due to low developer. Is it correct that the seal above the mag roller was ok or did you have to straighten it out? An AR-M208 is old enough that the seal is probably getting brittle by now. I have straightened them only to have to go back because they tore, got into the dv box, and knocked the dv off in a different spot.

Is the drum new because the previous servicer was troubleshooting the same problem?

dear replace lsu unit
    • mannu