Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MXC401 L4-12

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    MXC401 L4-12

Re: MXC401 L4-12 FYI

Quote Originally Posted by bdcrandall13 View Post
    Oh yea, I forgot to mention that the sensor is the first thing that we replaced, but sharp's service manual had the wrong part number listed in the book and didn't have any changes noted anywhere. So the wrong sensor was replaced the first time...
    We had the L4-12 error on a MX-B401 that would clear by pow down/up but then was pretty steady. It turned out that a simple cut of the shutter that covers/uncovers the Resist Pro-con sensor (item 28, section 31) allows it to work properly. The edge of the shutter (item 22, section 31) that covers/uncovers the sensor has a beveled edge that can be snipped off (about 1.5 to 2mm) and no more L4-12. This will work on the C-Frontier as well, but only the black tab is to be cut if you're getting this code.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Ingersoll's Avatar

Re: MXC401 L4-12

Any pictures that show what you snipped off?

MXC401 L4-12

Quote Originally Posted by Ingersoll View Post
    Any pictures that show what you snipped off?
    Sorry, no machines available at this time; the snipped edge is more like one mm than 1.5 - 2 mm.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MXC401 L4-12

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    We had the L4-12 error on a MX-B401 that would clear by pow down/up but then was pretty steady. It turned out that a simple cut of the shutter that covers/uncovers the Resist Pro-con sensor (item 28, section 31) allows it to work properly. The edge of the shutter (item 22, section 31) that covers/uncovers the sensor has a beveled edge that can be snipped off (about 1.5 to 2mm) and no more L4-12. This will work on the C-Frontier as well, but only the black tab is to be cut if you're getting this code.
    I know this is an old post but I have a question about your modification. You have mentioned to cut the beveled edge, I see two beveled edges on the shutter. My question is do I make the cut from the front of the shutter (directly across it) or do I make the 1mm snip at the same angle as the bevels ( removing just 1mm from the bevels)?

MXC401 L4-12

Quote Originally Posted by copiertec View Post
    I know this is an old post but I have a question about your modification. You have mentioned to cut the beveled edge, I see two beveled edges on the shutter. My question is do I make the cut from the front of the shutter (directly across it) or do I make the 1mm snip at the same angle as the bevels ( removing just 1mm from the bevels)?
    Cut from beveled edge to beveled edge - a little less than 1 mm. You'll be cutting back about 10 mm of the front (left) side of shutter. Hope that clarifies any questions you might have. What happens is the shutter does not retract enough to get a reading of the patch on the Primary.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MXC401 L4-12

Thank you, Zootech, that's what I needed to know.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

H[QUOTE=bdcrandall13;212680]Have replaced with new transfer belt, both primary and secondary with latest mods. I see suggestions to replace the fuser and even some to replace the Resist Sensor Unit. Any other ideas? I am heading out to see it in the morning. We just put the machine in the customer's office this morning and had worked like a champ the entire time we had it in our office.
    Thanks in advance.[
    Have had this code often on the Frontier series. For The MX-C401 version.
    Order the resist sensor unit or clean it. Part # CHLDFZ2001DS53.