Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MXC401 L4-12

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MXC401 L4-12

Have replaced with new transfer belt, both primary and secondary with latest mods. I see suggestions to replace the fuser and even some to replace the Resist Sensor Unit. Any other ideas? I am heading out to see it in the morning. We just put the machine in the customer's office this morning and had worked like a champ the entire time we had it in our office.
    Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar
    Secondary transfer seperation problem. Since you just replaced the belt I would start there.

Good luck.

Bil

Cause A change in the state of the separation sensor is
    not detected in the specified time during separating
    operation of the secondary transfer unit.
    Secondary transfer unit separation mechanism
    trouble
    Secondary transfer unit separation motor trouble.
    Secondary transfer unit separation sensor trouble.
    Connection trouble of the connector and the
    harness.
    PCU PWB trouble.
    Check & Remedy Check the operation of the secondary transfer unit
    separation mechanism.
    Replace the secondary transfer unit separation
    motor.
    Replace the secondary transfer unit separation
    sensor.
    Check connection of the connector and the
    harness.
    Replace the PCU PWB.

Hello,
    we have the same issue on MX-C310/380 in Europe.
    the problem is caused by incorrect cleaning of the primary transfert cleaner blade.
    Due to the toner contamination, the RESIST UN sensor may be unable to recognize the transfert belt giving irregular L4-12 code.
    Change blade with new type (CCLEZ0216FC33).

Good luck!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ok, we went to check the machine out this morning. They called yesterday and said the code had cleared and it was working again but had coded again this morning and would not clear. So, first thing we did is try to clear it. It wouldn't. We pulled out the 1st transfer belt and changed the cleaning blade to the newest version. I think it already had a new version in it but we changed it anyway. That didn't fix it. So we changed the entire belt to a new unit. That didn't work. We changed the secondary belt unit that didn't help. We changed the fuser and it didn't do anything either. The machine clicks once loudly after the FUM turns on, then clicks 4 times much quieter, but still noticeable, stops, then clicks 4 more times, then codes.
    We called sharp and they referred us to TT-20213 which talks about the Resist sensor unit, the 1st transfer cleaning blade and the Fusing drive gear. I have tried to cleaning blade and we replaced the resist sensor unit. I doubt it it the fusing drive gear as it looks fine but will order it anyway. It says when checking the resist sensor unit make sure that it is opening and closing properly. My question is how does it open and close? When turning the gear or shaft by hand it does not turn the sensor cover. It appears the the entire unit is there after looking in the parts guide. Maybe there is something I am missing. I attached some pictures of the resist sensor unit and the secondary transfer unit. Give them a look and see if I am missing anything. Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.
    Here is the sensor cover unit. Again I don't understand what actually makes the grey cover move.IMAG0395.jpg

Secondary transfer unit. I don't quite get why the part below this is here. It is a flat peice with gear teeth on it. No idea...IMAG0396.jpgIMAG0397.jpg

Service Manager 100+ Posts glewisme's Avatar
    Check the firmware Sharp released a version to fix just this issue.

Complete Engine Firmware
    Models MXC311, MXC401, DXC311, DXC401
    Release Type Production Control ROM ID D04
    Release Date October 2010 File Name CFRW_MAINsEFS_101122a.sfu
    Versions
    ICU MAIN
    ICU BOOT
    DESK
    FINISHER
    PCU
    SCU
    FAX
    03.03.F1
    01.02.F1
    01.01.F0
    01.03.F0
    01.10.F0
    01.02.F0
    01.03.P2
    Reason to change: (correction of error described below)
    1. Changing the 2nd transfer separator control sequence could stop causing an L4
    12 error.
    Reason to change: (specification change)
    2. A service mode to force toner onto the 1st transfer belt and to prevent the 1st transfer blade from being
    reversed has been added to the engine software SW (Sim55
    1).
    [Authorization/restriction settings]
    0: Restricted (default)
    1: Authorized
    [Print volume settings]
    0: 100 pages (default)

1: 500

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Update:
    Updated firmware to latest version. Changed fusing/delivery drive gear, secondary transfer seperation clutch, Registration sensor, entire right door including the secondary transfer belt again and the 2 seperation levers. Any other ideas? The machine still clicks once loudly when the machine is powered on, then clicks 4 times much quieter, pauses, the clicks 4 more times and codes.
    Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks

jonr

Re: MXC401 L4-12

The problem with your clicking noise is . on the back of the machine in the upper left side . small frame with clutch and three grears. i think. pull assm off. look very close at worm gear with diagonal teeth. you are missing one or two teeth on the worm gear. I have over 50 of these out and seen this more than once. I thinkl its was caused by fuser bearings that siezed or abnormal fuser drive bind. hope this hepls ya.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

jonr has good info.

Whenever I have this problem it has never been with TX roller or belt itself, it is always with the 2 cam arms (located in body of machine below the fuser a bit) that push to engage the 2nd transfer roller. check them out as something is causing them not to engage properly.
    just my experience, good luck

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Gentlemen, we did find a resolution to this issue. It ended up being a Defective 1TUD_K sensor. All that work for a defective sensor. It was unable to see when the belt was in each position. A lot of lost time and money was put into this damn machine. But it works fine now!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that the sensor is the first thing that we replaced, but sharp's service manual had the wrong part number listed in the book and didn't have any changes noted anywhere. So the wrong sensor was replaced the first time...