Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX5001 back half of black images greatly faded

Re: MX5001 back half of black images greatly faded

Ran Sim 8 - all readings looks OK
    With door open, checked transfer belt shifting - main trans belt can be seen to shift OK from black to color to neutral position.
    Panic Stop results show image OK on Drum. So problem is in transfer of image to belt.
    After initial replacement of Transfer belt , imaging was OK for ~400 copies.

Again strange thing here is that using the two different belts - one copies OK on the front of belt and a greatly faded image only on the rear or rather back 1/2 of belt.
    Then on the older belt that had the fingernail deep scratches, (Which was making OK copies before initially changing ) is now producing greatly faded copy on entire image.

Switching belts back and forth into the machine produces the same pattern i.e faded pattern stays with the swapping of belts.

SO again with test SIM 8 (see above) seems OK Yet with 44-6 we get hi volt density process error.
    Last edited by Sam Tofu; 10-17-2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: add clarity to post

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I think your next step would be to replace the high voltage pwb.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

that's where we where leaning thanks for the "vote"/help!

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Just to throw in my two cents:

The reason the machine is giving a K_HV_ERR when performing a 44-06 is due to the fact the image is too light on the belt, when being read by the ID/Calibration density sensor. As the patches on the belt are read by 2 different sensors (one for CMY, one for K), the density sensor is not seeing the patches on the belt, therefore thinking there is a high voltage issue.
    Most of the time, this problem is not actually related to a high voltage problem at all. There are many known cases of the Primary Transfer Belt charge PWB not working correctly, especially if the image is OK on the drum (indicating that the MC/HVT PWB is OK). If the transfer charge PWB is not working correctly, the transfer of image from drum to belt is low, then the density sensor cannot read the patches on the belt during forced process control of 44-06.

The primary transfer charge PWB is the same part number across all MX2600, 3100, 4100 & 5000 series machines (RDENU0089FCPZ). This part number has not been upgraded or changed.

If the image is poor on the drum, then the problem is the MC/HVT PWB, which has been upgraded many times. Reading the post, it seems that the image is OK on the drum, so it probably is not that.

The part that troubles me the most is that you keep trying the same two transfer belts. There is a possibility that both of these belts have issues. If one of them is giving a complete light black, and the other is front side frame OK, it sounds like problems with the transfer roller tension springs in the belt unit itself. I have seen cases where if one side tension spring has fallen off, the transfer roller lowers down onto the drum at an angle, therefore giving a light transfer on either front or rear side, depending on the missing spring.

As I read this fault, I'm betting you either have an issue with both of these belt units, or the transfer charge PWB. My recommendation is to either grab another belt unit (preferably new), or if possible can you get me a scanned image sample? I'll be able to tell what the problem is straight away.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MX 5001 Scans.pdf
    RE the attached. The all faded is the old (worked when took out) belt. Half faded is brand new belt with 400 OK prints before issue.

NOTE: Upon your suggestion blackcat (BTW -THANKS for all the info) I did check new belt and found that the metal rod that hangs under belt near black drum had one side where the rod snaps into place cracked. We are ordering a warranty replacement in am.

HOWEVER, I checked older belt for all contacts, springs, cam action all very carefully 3 times and couldn't find any issues with it. Made certain the density sensors are clean. While I am glad to find out one of the belts logically would cause image problems, and hope when I put the new one in - all will be GREAT.

I have some still "oh no" reservations due to the other older belt having the image issue that showed up the same time the newer belt had issues. BTW, when I took that older belt out initially I carefully re-packaged it in the packing of the new belt to protect it as an emergency backup.

This afternoon -did one more panic stop. Image on drum looks "perfect". Image transferred to belt looks just like the one that ends up on the copied paper.

So if new belt doesn't take care of issue it seems the transfer charge PWB is the next step.
    Last edited by Sam Tofu; 10-19-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: clarification

The metal roller that you're talking about is the follower roller, next to the transfer roller. There's one at each end, to lower the belt fully onto the 2 end colors (k & y). If the follower roller is not clipped in properly, there is very little to no black transfer between drum & belt.

From reading all this again, I believe that you've got bad belt units. You should be able to make one good transfer belt assembly from the two bad ones in my opinion. The more I think about it, it's now less likely that it is caused by the transfer charge PWB. =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks blackcat. Yeah I keep going back to the belts cause it just seems to be the issue. Really glad you mentioned to look for springs off etc. We will have the warranty replacement belt in Monday and hopefully that will do it!

Sam,
    Although its hard to see, the firmware levels look really old. I see you've got the data security kit installed, so this all must be updated before you calibrate. =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Good tips blackcat.
    Yeah, we just took over this machine and where going to do basic roller kits and general cleaning when the label fiasco hit. cheap labels run through the lower drawers ended up with label pieces on transfer belt 1 & 2, stuck on black drum and drum anti spill plastic.

Unfortunately previous service company had never showed the government agency (45 people) how to use copier. Agency didn't even know how to use the stapler much less that they should use the by-pass for labels.

It is "loaded with staple saddle stitch,folding finisher,with hole punch kit large capacity side deck and just about anything that could be added -

Really very underused. At best a total of 38K per year

Anyway, once we get the machine working, firmware upgrade and instructions for client are in order!

We truly appreciate the help everyone has offered us on this!!!
    Last edited by Sam Tofu; 10-21-2011 at 04:00 AM. Reason: clarity

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

For what its worth i to ran into similar image quality trouble, tried different bely unit, proceeded to hunt for other causes, finally tried another belt unit and that sorted it, id go with the belt being the problem!

Hope you get it sorted!