Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    roguetide

MX2600n printing over the internet?

Hello all,

I have a client who is adamant that the photocopier they currently have (Sharp MX2600n) was able to print from computers posted in another office, in another building. I know this is possible with a VPN configured between the sites, however they currently have no such connection and have never had a VPN (nor do they want to fork out for a decent firewall at the moment).

I'm wondering if it's possible to set up the photocopier as an internet printer, IE allowing other offices to print to it. I've had a quick look and can't really find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Rt

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: MX2600n printing over the internet?

Google - Cloud Print

or google ''print anywhere'' and you will find a lot of apps doing the job without that much configuration to do.

Technician 250+ Posts

We have several USDA FS machines scattered around and they all are able to print to any machine. They do not have a VPN, but they do have a WAN.

If it use to work, but stopped - ask IT if they have changed their settings, and if they can "browse" from one site to the other. If not (but it did before), the network has changed in some way (perhaps subnet mask or DNS).

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MX2600n printing over the internet?

It is called IPP printing, Internet Print Protocol

You can google how to set up IPP printing and come up with plenty of info. What is important here is that at the network where the printer resides must be set up to allow print traffic through the firewall/router and be directed to another server on the local network The server on the local network must be configured (IIS) to accept the print job and forward it on to the local printer.

If the Sharp has the postscript kit installed it is also possible to print via email. Copier is given an email address, example sharp@mycompany.com. Employees who work off site and need to print simply send an email to sharp@mycompany.com, with the document attached to the email as a "PDF". The Sharp will pull the email from mail server strip the attachment away and print it.