Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MXM450 tadem tray clunking

Hey guys,

I got a MXM450 with the tandem tray that makes 3 quick clunks when it feeds each sheet of paper. Tray 1 & 2 do not make the noise. The paper was feeding from the left hand cassette. Didn't think to try only the right hand side.

Im guessing something special is happening in the drive but the machine is in a shitty spot and they don't like it when the machine is down. They were not complaining about the noise so i thought i'd see if any body had seen this before i rip things apart.

Any educated guesses?
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

Re: MXM450 tadem tray clunking

We usually replace the tandem drive unit CFRM-1045FC31. Also you may want to replace the desk multi drive unit CFRM-1041FC33. I believe the noise is from the belt being stretched and thumping on pulleys.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

The bushings in the main drive for the desk unit get gummed up pretty easily. Have cleaned them to get this to go away.

Good luck.

Bil

Thanks for the input guys. Machine is over 750k in a some what dirty enviroment. They also had had some jamming in that area and cleaning rollers helped but i wonder if those clutches are starting to slip. Not worth replacing the clutches as the units are cheaper once you add it up.

Thanks again, have a good christmas.

Forgot to update this thread with my findings.

I replaced the tadem drive pack which had lots of worn gears in it. The multi feed unit was also in bad shape. FYI get the latest version of the parts guide for this desk. I had 3 part numbers for the multi feed unit, all were valid when i ordered and all said they would work for the tadem desk unit. Any ways the one i ordered was 5 bucks cheaper and it came with 2 less gears. Turns out i got the one for the MU4 which is a single tray unit.....

After replacing the tadem drive and rebuilding the old multi feed with new clutches and gears i could swap i still had the clunking. Right under tray 2 is a transfer unit that moves the paper across the top of the left side of the tadem, there is a belt in there that drives the vertical transport rollers right above the exit of the left tadem tray. That was slipping which i imagine was causing tons of jams. I replaced that unit from a dead machine and the clunk went away.

I would not recommend rebuilding those 2 drive packs. By the time you put all those clutches in your at the same price as a new unit. Then you still have to rebuild and possibly make another trip to replace worn gears.