Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

"printer offline" ?

Hi all,
    I have a customer that has many computers that print to an MX3501 I installed. It's been working great, but all of a sudden there are two computers that show "printer offline" in their printer windows and they can't print. (All of the other printers in the office print just fine.)

I tried rebooting the computers and the copier - No luck. Tried reinstalling the driver which worked, but all I could do was print the test page and within a couple of minutes, it went back to "printer offline." Tried manually taking the printer offline and it showed: printer offline - offline. Then when I put it back online, it still showed the printer offline.

Any ideas? Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    "printer offline" ?

Re: "printer offline" ?

Are you sure this is not a network issue (I assume there is a router/switch being used)?

If DHCP is enabled it could be causing IP conflictions.

Also, it may be useful to note what operating systems the computers that cannot connect are using. And if those computers are using a different operating system than the computers that are working correctly.

I have never installed a MX3501, but if there is a PCL and a PS driver version, have you tried both?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks Synaux, but these machines have been working fine for several months and there are others in the office that don't have this problem, so I wouldn't think it would be operating system issues, or networking issues.

"printer offline" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Thanks Synaux, but these machines have been working fine for several months and there are others in the office that don't have this problem, so I wouldn't think it would be operating system issues, or networking issues.
    Buddy, often thinking gets in the way . Many times I find myself with a solution that was unfathomable prior to the discovery of the cause.

MY logic dictates that this is most certainly a network issue (or a permissions issue). The more unlikely scenario is that the computers in question have a virus/something malicious or a driver/hardware issue. (In fact, I almost want to insist on the above options...but...I have been known to be wrong)

A power outage (however slight) + a crappy router can cause DHCP issues. Consider a static setup for all devices.

You might want to switch one of the non-connecting computers to a ethernet cable of one of the computers that can print to your MX3501. It is entirely possible you have infidelity in the ethernet line (e.g., bad fitting, rats/mice, etc). AND do this visa versa--this will entirely eliminate any line concerns (but remember, network issues are no solved at this point).

It its still useful to note the operating systems being used (e.g., Microsoft, Macintosh, Linux, UNIX, et cetera)

As far as using different drivers--that could be a possible solution/workaround (but you did not reply on this...and Sharp's website keeps timing-out on me....).

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts DINGO's Avatar

it seems a IP Conflit.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Disable SNMP in your driver ( driver property - port tab- configure port - uncheck SNMP)

Also make sure you dont have any maintenance message on your copier.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    "printer offline" ?

Are you sure that use printer off line is NOT checked in the print que ???
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Divad2k1 may have won the boobie prize. There is in fact a maintenance message on the display. (I'm waiting on a fuser web.) I'll let you know when I go back out.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    "printer offline" ?

Divad is right.

Sim 55-3 SW 9 B5=1

That will shut down the SNMP on the copier sending the M required notification shutting down the print spooler on that computer.
    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Its all shits and giggles until some body giggles and shits...

"printer offline" ?

Quote Originally Posted by divad2k1 View Post
    Disable SNMP in your driver ( driver property - port tab- configure port - uncheck SNMP)

Also make sure you dont have any maintenance message on your copier.
    This doesn't make sense to me (although I don't doubt it).
    Can you explain this, or is it just one of those unexplainable truisms?

**edit** just read Lawrence's comment, sorry.