Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Technician

Re: MX3100 BK Distortion Issues

Not since replacing the LSU, but I'll run it some more to try to get it to do it again. If I remember correctly, I believe its a sub black error with a number at the end of end. I could kick myself for not writing it down. I found some error codes like this in the sim section of the manual, and it pertains to scan pitch. Not sure what that means...

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

DATA_SUB_K_F_Head 10:
    SIM 50-10 set A to a value of 110. Run SIM 50-22 again.
    You could also pull out the toner and run SIM 25-1 and see if the readings are normal.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Technician

Just changed the settings in sim 50-10. Checked toner sensor with 25-1 and all are normal (120-130). I did have to run a larger amount of copies before it messed up again. After three hundred the distortion on the black toner came back. I ran a 50-22 again before rebooting the machine and I am getting a Main Magenta Rear 77 error. This is similar to the first error codes I encountered, but I remember them being Sub Black errors.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MX3100 BK Distortion Issues

I was receiving a persistent Sub Magenta Front 32 error when my drive gear had broken. Have you had a chance to check it yet?
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Technician

I did forget about that. I will take it apart and check it this afternoon when I get back to the shop. Thanks!

No problem. This drive gear breaking can cause all kinds of funky things. In my last instance, all the colours would respectively shift about 2-3mm respectively from lead edge to trail edge, my black was totally 100% fine but all my colours were off, I had thought it was the main drive pack, then assumed laser before finally checking the drive gear on the new belt I had installed. I was heartbroken to find it was the drive gear after less than 5k copies after driving 4 hours out of town and back TWICE to replace the main drive pack (what a nightmarish job!) and the LSU (not quite so bad).

Good luck in your findings!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts DAKOTADAN's Avatar

If your main belt gear is Ok I would look at MFP-TB-399, see if your problem machine fits in this age bracket. I know you are getting good readings from your HV board, but I have had 2 machines that would give strange prints and copies after it warmed up. I changed out this board and it fixed my problems. Hope this helps with your problems. Dan.

Technician

It's a 2010 model so it has the new hv board already, but I'm still gonna try a new one. Also, I ran a 50-20 and my readings were bad off. I think one of the magenta settings was at 2. I set everything at default, ran 50-22 again, and locked it in with a 46-24. It doesn't distort as bad, but its still there. I did pull out the drive gear to check it and I didn't see anything. Gotta be a board. Starting with HV then mcu if that doesnt remedy it....I'm awfully close to "fixing" this thing with a hammer, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_c View Post
    It's a 2010 model so it has the new hv board already, but I'm still gonna try a new one. Also, I ran a 50-20 and my readings were bad off. I think one of the magenta settings was at 2. I set everything at default, ran 50-22 again, and locked it in with a 46-24. It doesn't distort as bad, but its still there. I did pull out the drive gear to check it and I didn't see anything. Gotta be a board. Starting with HV then mcu if that doesnt remedy it....I'm awfully close to "fixing" this thing with a hammer, tho.
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Let us know how the HV/MCU turns out.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

I am gonna go out on a limb hear. When I look at the image, I see compression and zooming along the same horizontal plane, indicating stalling or binding. I edited the image and re-posted.
    ar-m455n_20101020_102546-003.jpg
    This would lead me to a drum unit or, as already suggested, belt drive gear.
    My 2 cents.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!