Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MX3100 BK Distortion Issues

Re: MX3100 BK Distortion Issues

I've been discussing it, and there's a possibility it could be a faulty DIMM2 memory chip. First thing to check is sim 64-01. Set up as a=11, b&c=2, d=255, multicount=10. This test is built into the lsu control board and is not using the mfp in any way. If this test gives 4 perfect halftone vertical stripes, you know the lsu, drums, dvs, belt & fuser are ok. If this page fails, then the problem is related to image processing hardware.
    If 64-01 works ok, then test 64-05. This is the pcl test page, which uses the mfp board. If this page fails (but 64-01 works ok), then the problem is memory related (any memory module on the mfp can possibly be at fault, even though they are specific for system, copy & print).
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Technician

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Just replaced the Hv pwb and I still have issues. It took longer to show back up (200+ copies this time), but it's there. I did run sim 64-1 and noticed in the 10 pages it printed out that the black strip moves on the page. Half of the run has the black and cyan touching while the other half, there is a thin gap where the white of the paper shows through. Sim 64-5 looks good, but I'm not sure if that's just because it's harder to get the machine to act up now. I was told by sharp to try the hv pwb and the mcu board. But now I'm back to checking all of the process hardware. It's had two drum units, a new dv unit, and new primary belt unit, a lsu, the hv pwb, recalibrated, gears checked for wear, and a partridge in a pear tree. The only thing I have not replaced yet is the transfer unit.

I miss working only on monochrome machines.....

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Gotta love these head scratchers....
    Have you tried changing the actual REG_F and REG_R sensors?
    Do a panic stop. Run ten copies and pull a door open during the run. Try to stop it before it enters the transfer section. You can then pull the paper out and look at the image. You can also pull the drum and IT unit with the toner still on them, narrowing it further. If it is off, you can eliminate the transfer section without throwing parts at it. May I also suggest the following:
    -ADJ 1 & 2
    -Clean or replace 1TURC. This clutch controls the 1st transfer rollers inside the belt.
    -2nd transfer unit. If a roll is loose or dented (I have seen a few dented ones), it can shift the image.

Good luck.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Broken gear or broken drive pin housing on gear in the main drive unit probably on the black drum drive is my educated guess.

The fault looks mechanical to me. only happens on black. colour is ok right.

Black dev,drum,main transfer unit & transfer separation clutch are all driven by one motor DVM k

Transfer drive is ok as colour is fine
    Transfer sep clutch is ok cos you are getting an image
    Can't be dev unit.
    got to be drum or drum drive ( I think )

Caused by... A flipped drum blade some time in the past.

Technician

I just replace the main drive assembly. Seems to have fixed the issue I had with the black images..............but, now I'm having an issue with the yellow. It just went haywire after 200 copies. Can't win for trying. I officially hate this machine. Replaced the drum unit, and will install a dv unit this morning. Is it Friday yet?

Technician

Thanks to everyone again for your input. The issue was somewhere in the main drive assembly. I didnt find any broken gears, but after replacing the whole assembly the problem was fixed. I think the issue with the yellow toner had to do with the hv board. I unplugged everything and re-seated all the connectors, recalibrated the machine and after 1000 copies, all appears to be ok. Going back to the customer today!