Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

MX-2610 admin password reset

I was wondering if the admin password can be reset if the mx-2610n has the data security function installed. I have a customer where there IT department changed the admin password and lost it. I am currently locked out of the admin settings and cannot find a admin password reset in the service mode for this model. I know that you could reset the password on the b/w 453n series and some of the other generation color models.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

Re: MX-2610 admin password reset

SIM 24-31 which is not in the manual. I think you can also do it from the service web page:
    http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/service_login.html. (xxx being the ip address) If they did not change it, the password for this page is "service".

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Technician

Problem solved. After talking with the Sharp tech reps. With the Data security installed the pcu must be pulled out and the 2 dipswitches next to the usb port must be switched to the up position and then reinstall the board. When the machine boots up the sim 24-31 is displayed and the admin password can be reset. Then the board must be pulled and the dipswitches must be changed back for the machine boot up properly.

Technician

Did this work?

I'm not following why you would have to pull the board out to change the dip switches?

Also when you fire the machine up, the screen displays 4 crosses? Not the simulation codes

Quote Originally Posted by Chr15tophe View Post
    Did this work?

I'm not following why you would have to pull the board out to change the dip switches?

Also when you fire the machine up, the screen displays 4 crosses? Not the simulation codes
    Use the other dip switch. There is one for touch panel calibration (the one with 4 crosses), and one for the password reset. I have not tried them both at the same time.

I agree that the explanation is not correct. The PCU board controls clutches and motors. A DSK (data security kit) is installed by replacing to ROM chips on the MFP board. The dip switches are located on the MFP board, not the PCU board. The other question would be is this the built in DSK or the optional one...

Last edited by mojorolla; 08-18-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hello guys anyone have an explanation for this still have a 2610N that I cant get around admin password, Please help.

This is a picture of the dip switches on the MFP board. Do not be fooled by the picture, these are VERY, VERY TINY. I believe this is from a 5111. The 2610 dip switches are also on the MFP board but are more towards the back of the board. Flip the dip, boot up the machine. It will go into something like "data and counter clear", select that, you will see the usual 24-30, execute. Then power down, flip dip back to original position and power up. Admin password should work.
    ARIES-VIRGO ADMIN PASSWORD RESET.jpg

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hey thanks for your feedback, for some strange reason when flip the dip switches on the MX-2610N it goes into what seems to be a calibration mode on the LCD display upon bootup like 4 plus sighs in each corner, I dont see anything else, also when i checked the dip switches on the MFP pwb the switches was already in the up position, Am i missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by redserv View Post
    Hey thanks for your feedback, for some strange reason when flip the dip switches on the MX-2610N it goes into what seems to be a calibration mode on the LCD display upon bootup like 4 plus sighs in each corner, I dont see anything else, also when i checked the dip switches on the MFP pwb the switches was already in the up position, Am i missing something here?
    You flipped the forced calibration dip, that will give you 4 plus signs to calibrate a locked up screen.
    You need the one right next to it for admin password reset.

Last edited by mojorolla; 09-03-2014 at 02:06 AM.

Talking with a Sharp rep, apparently they made it the way Mojo described it (difficult) because they were sued by a US intelligence agency (because the admin codes where to easy to reset, and could be used to gain access to secure networks)

Don't know the legitimacy of that story though, but damn you don't want to lose them admin passwords, what a pain....