Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: AL1600

kitdesigner

AL1600

Have AL1600 (5-1/2 yrs old but 7 model yrs so Sharp won't support or sell parts). Want to repair. My computer repairman has agreed to try - can anyone offer suggestions? The shaft that holds the cam that engages the gear on the toner cartridge broke. Can it be repaired without new parts (not avail)? HELP!

Service Manager 250+ Posts lkrsardis's Avatar

al1600

dumpster express.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    AL1600

This is an easy fix. Order a toner motor (RMOTD0016QSZ1). It sounds as if you still have the coupler & spring. The toner motor has to come out from the back. Its buried under the wire harness & loom. If you've never done this before, just mark where the connectors come from so you can get them back to the right places.

Oh, and the coupler, spring and motor must be reassembled before inserting through the frame.

kitdesigner

Thank You

Thank You Black Cat! Found a parts side (Precisionroller.com) and it looked as if that might be the fix, it's great to have that confirmed. If I might impose with another question - what caused the break in first place? Unit is 6 yrs old but I only run about 2K copies/year so minimal use. Replace toner cartridge w/Sharp brand. Cound my toner cartridge have malfunctioned and seized up causing break? Just want to think thru and make sure I fix the cause (if there was one) as well as the damage. Thanks so much, really appreciate it

old motor had a plastic shaft for the motor, New motor should not break again, If you have never done this, plan on it taking 1 1/2 to 2 hours

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    AL1600

Bodine is correct. The old toner motor shaft is plastic, the new one metal. Usually right after the cartridge has been changed, the load on the toner agitation/feed motor is greatest. I've seen a few seized toner cartridges. It can kill a toner motor. I don't tell the customer this, but if you know which way to rotate the gear drive, I'll usually rotate it through 1 full rotation before installation.

Here is how

I have just done this for the 5th time, you can get the toner motor and install it yourself, will take a couple hours or so. YOu need to unplug all wires and pull them away from the plastic harness, then remove screws to harnes and pull away enough to get to the motor. YOu need to make sure you put the motor in the same way it came out, and install the top screw loosely, then install the bottom screw, then remove the top screw, move the motor over enough to get the spring and cam on it from inside the toner tunnel area, then go back and screw in the motor tightly, Then put the harness back and all the wires. It is rather intensive but it can be done

Olsonbros.com
    The purchase is:
    Item Name Item Price Quantity Item Total
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    RMOTD-16 Toner Motor $53.90