Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MX-FNX9 F1-15

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-FNX9    F1-15

MX-FNX9 F1-15

I have gone round and round with this baby.

Troubleshoot/test/repair/replace just about everything on the finisher itself. New motor, new gears/springs on lift assembly, new control PWB, tested all the sensors (on machine and with meter) and swapped around with some other sensors...etc, etc. Nothing seems to work or show any sign of an issue.

Machine will boot up fine, depending on where the tray is, the machine will either "see" the tray at (FLLD - Lower limit) or it will lower the tray until it sees it there. Machine will warm up and be ready for copy. Press copy button, the machine does it's thing, the tray lifts as it is supposed to, reaches the very top and BOOM ...... F1-15 every time. As I said, it sees it at (FULD - upper limit) as I can test it right after, and through the SIMS (with meter). And testing also shows that (FMLLD - intermediate lower) is working as it should.

The tray itself seems to run smoothly without any "jerking", squealing, or other signs of "binding"...etc

It was taking so long to diagnose, we even went ahead and bought a brand new FNX9 unit for the customer, and that took care of the problem. So that leads me to belive that it is in fact SOMETHING to do with the FINISHER itself (IE... not a board on the MFP)

So, any thoughts or other tests I can run.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-FNX9    F1-15

Re: MX-FNX9 F1-15

I am currently looking closely at the FNX9 manual that mentions what all could be causing the F1-15. It mentions the FSLD1 and FSLD2 paper surface sensors could be the issue. I am not familiar with those, so will look into that.

It also mentions a motor coil disconnection and to perform a conduction test of the coil. I am not sure what that is talking about either.

Thanks for any help

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-FNX9    F1-15

I guess it just took typing it out to finalize the thinking/troubleshooting phase.

I looked into the FSLD1 and FSLD2 sensors and whil eI am not 100% sure what they do or how they operate just yet. If I manual manipulate those, I can get a copy job to come through without error.

Off to figure out how those work and why they may be malfunctioning.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-FNX9    F1-15

Appears to be a fault with a solenoid in this area.... more to come

Yep, it was the FSLS solenoid. Just doesn't turn on/engage. I was hoping to find one similar enough to test with, but it looks like I am just going to have to order a new one and test that way.
    Last edited by RascalMJ; 06-18-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added info

Technician

I am just curious what it took to fix this problem. I currently have one that is doing this but, right now, it is very intermittent. I thought I had it fixed about 2 weeks ago, then, it all of a sudden came back again. I was leaning towards the tray lift motor but when I ran it, everything seemed to be working just fine. I also went through all the checks in the manual and everything checks out good. I'm a bit lost on this one.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MX-FNX9    F1-15

Quote Originally Posted by smerritt244 View Post
    I am just curious what it took to fix this problem. I currently have one that is doing this but, right now, it is very intermittent. I thought I had it fixed about 2 weeks ago, then, it all of a sudden came back again. I was leaning towards the tray lift motor but when I ran it, everything seemed to be working just fine. I also went through all the checks in the manual and everything checks out good. I'm a bit lost on this one.
    Read the post above yours, stated it was the FSLS solenoid.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MX-FNX9    F1-15

Quote Originally Posted by smerritt244 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    Read the post above yours, stated it was the FSLS solenoid.
    exactly

more details, the wiring to the FSLS solenoid was pinched behind a metal bracket, eventually causing a break in the protective coating, this lead to occasional malfunctions ( intermittent) problems.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by RascalMJ View Post
    exactly

more details, the wiring to the FSLS solenoid was pinched behind a metal bracket, eventually causing a break in the protective coating, this lead to occasional malfunctions ( intermittent) problems.
    Oh sorry. I must have misread that part. I will check into that when I head back there.