Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MX-M453N with POD1_S jams

I have a new MX-M363N and a new MX-M453N with MX-FNX9 and MX-PNX1B with POD1_S jams.

Letter R and legal size are the only paper sizes that jam. It occurs on 2 sided copies and usually occurs within 5 to 10 copies but may go up to 25 copies before jamming. The jam code is POD1_S. Without the finisher/ punch unit, everything appears to work fine.

My troubleshooting was all for nothing. I swapped the fuser, delivery unit and MX-PNX1B and the problem continued. I also went through to make sure the punch unit and the finisher was installed correctly. After all of that, I tested the machine I was swapping parts from and I was getting the same issue. I am thinking there is a design flaw or I am missing something. I cannot find any bulletins on the issue and the only similar issue on copytechnet was the paper was jamming on letter and they changed paper to letter R.

I added a few pictures. The identifying marks on the paper are always the same. The front side of copies are always withing the punch unit guides, where the back side looks like it is getting hung up on the upper punch unit guide. The snag always appears to be in line with the rear exit roller and pinch roller.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: MX-M453N with POD1_S jams

Have you tried different paper? How long has it been exposed and does it feel damp?

Service Manager 100+ Posts glewisme's Avatar

Mark is the lead edge of the paper damaged ( getting hung up ) at all or just trail ? Try removing the punch unit and just put in the original dummy punch unit to see if it acts differently. I know Bryan keeps them if you don't have one let me know I may. It is possible to have a slight misalignment between units. Look for any burrs on the punch unit guides as well.
    Last edited by glewisme; 06-20-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Mark check this Bulliten # MFP-TB-698 they change the finisher entrance gate!!!!
    Last edited by glewisme; 06-20-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I believe I have fixed it, but I will keep you posted, if not. The paper was good paper. Problem occurred on 3 machines and at 2 different locations. I think it is more of a design flaw and have not noticed it before, because we do not have many of this configuration and clients do not typicaly do 2 sided copying on legal and letter R.

I have not had a chance to get the dummy punch unit, Gabe. I change the delivery unit exit pinch rollers the ones found on the MX4501. There does not seem to be as much of a bevel on the MX4501 pinch rollers.

I keep you posted, if it does not work.

Mark great job. I don't know why the re-designed something that worked well in the first place. They do cause the paper to distort greatly on exit.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by glewisme View Post
    Mark great job. I don't know why the re-designed something that worked well in the first place. They do cause the paper to distort greatly on exit.
    I see this alot when installing the invertor unit the exit sensor will hang up on the frame and causes it to jam every time, fix is the roll a peice of paper into the invertor and actuate the sensor before inserting the invertor unit after it is in place pull out the paper backwards actuator falls on the left side of the frame. just a tip.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

FYI - Saw similar issue on MX-4141 color copier. They do have a bulletin to remove the foam rollers to remove beveling but it eliminates the bevel created and makes the problem worse. I again, change the exit pinch rollers on the delivery unit to the pinch rollers of the MX-4501 and thus far works fine. Part # PCLR-0518FCZ1. Section 37 item 26.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Nice work. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=